Benzo WD diagnosis code ICD 10 F13.239 as of 2020. Is benzo WD more recognized?

[Mi...]

Any medical billers out there? Since Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome is a real diagnosis in the DSM 5 (the diagnostic guide for psychiatry.) I wondered if benzo withdrawal had a "real diagnosis code" too. I'm not medical billing savvy, but it looks like this became a diagnosis code for benzo withdrawal (F13.239) just this year in 2020. Is that true?  Does that mean there is an increasing awareness amongst the medical community of benzo withdrawal?

Can this help us to get assistance with the physical limitations that WD brings about? such as in home health care? Or a disability claim?  Just some increase in awareness would be great. Or even better, more power against big pharma.

If anything, when we are faced with a doubting, non benzowise doctor we can say: "Hey, benzo withdrawal is a real thing. You know there's a diagnosis code in the DSM 5."

Any input or knowledge welcome.

Any medical billers out there? Since Antidepressant Withdrawal Syndrome is a real diagnosis in the DSM 5 (the diagnostic guide for psychiatry.) I wondered if benzo withdrawal had a "real diagnosis code" too. I'm not medical billing savvy, but it looks like this became a diagnosis code for benzo withdrawal (F13.239) just this year in 2020. Is that true?  Does that mean there is an increasing awareness amongst the medical community of benzo withdrawal?

Can this help us to get assistance with the physical limitations that WD brings about? such as in home health care? Or a disability claim?  Just some increase in awareness would be great. Or even better, more power against big pharma.

If anything, when we are faced with a doubting, non benzowise doctor we can say: "Hey, benzo withdrawal is a real thing. You know there's a diagnosis code in the DSM 5."

Any input or knowledge welcome.

Wow, so interesting. Where did you find this info? You'd think it could help one find a benzo wise doc, if they exis. I hope you get some feedback. I'm stuck in DR with bad visual distortions & long term TRD & a long way to taper yet, so was really wanting a some kind of benzo wise doc to help...SC

• 2 weeks later...

Close.  There is a program that will translate ICD codes.  I just looked up F13.239

https://icdcodelookup.com/icd-10/codes/F13.239

"Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic dependence withdrawal 'without perceptual disturbances.'"

I think we have "perceptual disturbances."

But:

F13.232

https://icdcodelookup.com/icd-10/codes/F13.232

"Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic dependence withdrawal with 'perceptual disturbances.'"

Maybe the medical community IS coming around? I will mention this to my neurologist.  He is a good guy.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Ramcon1

From what I've read or seen on the diagnosis that end up in the DSM V are decided by a panel of physicians. Once disease and illness is given a diagnosis status in the DSM V it can get traction and be more easily recognized, and more importantly taken more seriously. For instance "antidepressant withdrawal syndrome" is a real diagnosis in the DSM V.  Every disease and illness has it's "discovery" and a "starting point" in being recognized and therefore taken seriously so treatments can be put into place. Also not only treatment, but to hopefully get disabilty assistance, and other assistance when needed.

Benzo withdrawal is a long road for many. But, it's a temporary situation. It's just that "temporary" can be months or a few years. Imagine if we (us suffering in WD) could be taken seriously by practitioners? Just that in itself would make the healing process so much smoother. People could get "back on their feet" and get back into life. That's all we really want. Could you imagine being received by your doctor with comments such as: "Benzo withdrawal? Yes it's a tough journey, but I can help you out. You will get through this." And then be given the proper resources to heal; versus what we're (us in benzo WD) are already used to hearing: "It should be out of your system already. It's your own natural anxiety." Or worse yet, the doctor just walks out of the room and doesn't help at all.

The fact that so many people take benzos (like I'd say 25% of the people I know personally do) combined with the power of the internet being "a voice", I think it is possible to reach this goal sooner than later. The goal of making the dangers of benzos so well known that it's common knowledge not only to practitioners, but also to the general public. The goal of no "drug seeker stigma" to deal with. The goal that someday these drugs will never be prescribed in the first place except for a one time dose, with signed informed consent.

Miss Fortitude,

I put the code (The F13.232 Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic dependence with withdrawal WITH perceptual disturbance,) in my post "Finding a doctor."  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I think you are right that it will help.

Ramcon1

• 2 months later...

Miss Fortitude,

I put the code (The F13.232 Sedative, hypnotic or anxiolytic dependence with withdrawal WITH perceptual disturbance,) in my post "Finding a doctor."  Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.  I think you are right that it will help.

Ramcon1

Hi,

Are you tapering valium? May I ask, are you having Derealization & visual distortions? Are you trying to find a benzo wise doc to help you? If you are having these symptoms, could you share a bit what they are like & how/why you think they started?

Thanks SC