The Pandemic Is Spiking Anxiety. Before You Take Anti-Anxiety Medication...

[Gr...]

• 4 weeks later...

Hi -- I read the article and was very interested in the research they cited    "Not surprisingly, benzodiazepine prescriptions have skyrocketed since the pandemic began. A new study of over 3 million people found that prescriptions for this medication class spiked 34% from mid-February to mid-March, right as the media started talking more about the novel coronavirus."

So the link in the article to the new study sent me to this "America's State of Mind". chttps://www.express-scripts.com/corporate/node/2332. ---  is this because I would need to subscribe to express scripts publications?  You guys are wiser than I at finding research.  But I would really like to know hot to find the source.  Thanks if you can help. or if there is other info on people getting prescribed benzos more during the pandemic.  WBB

Hi -- I read the article and was very interested in the research they cited    "Not surprisingly, benzodiazepine prescriptions have skyrocketed since the pandemic began. A new study of over 3 million people found that prescriptions for this medication class spiked 34% from mid-February to mid-March, right as the media started talking more about the novel coronavirus."

So the link in the article to the new study sent me to this "America's State of Mind". chttps://www.express-scripts.com/corporate/node/2332. ---  is this because I would need to subscribe to express scripts publications?  You guys are wiser than I at finding research.  But I would really like to know hot to find the source.  Thanks if you can help. or if there is other info on people getting prescribed benzos more during the pandemic.  WBB

Excellent question. I didn't click on that link when I read the article, and as you say, it does not link directly to a study. Seems bogus to me. They should obviously be providing the appropriate references in the article so that people can read the source material.

OK - so I just subscribed through that link and got this:  It's interesting that xpressscripts is publishing this data but thats another question.  https://corporate-site-labs-prod.s3.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/2020-04/Express%20Scripts%20America%27s%20State%20of%20Mind%20Report%20April%202020%20FINAL_p9%20edits_0.pdf

let me know if you couldn't get it. -- you guys are awesome, BTW

Ah, I see. Hmmmm. When they said "study", I thought they were referring to a study that was published in a medical journal with peer review, like the ones in PubMed. I"m not sure about this one.

Ah, I see. Hmmmm. When they said "study", I thought they were referring to a study that was published in a medical journal with peer review, like the ones in PubMed. I"m not sure about this one.

Yeah Lapis. This one reads like an industry newsletter.  Sort of information for the people selling these drugs or something like that.  I honestly do not know. 

Yeah Lapis. This one reads like an industry newsletter.  Sort of information for the people selling these drugs or something like that.  I honestly do not know.

That's what I was thinking. A bit too commercial for a study.

x presscscripts is a huge pharm company.  They could be just giving stats off of the scripts they're filling directly and those filled by subscribers.  I'm not sure how they can generalize this way, though.  Is there a database for all med rx s

x presscscripts is a huge pharm company.  They could be just giving stats off of the scripts they're filling directly and those filled by subscribers.  I'm not sure how they can generalize this way, though.  Is there a database for all med rx s

Actually I think there is.  I am pretty sure in some movie I saw that they said that the pharma companies collect all the data on how many prescriptions are filled and of what drugs, etc.  It makes sense cause they are run with the goal of getting as many prescriptions filled as possible, so of course they keep track of what works.