Announcing A New Panelist for BIC's "Medicating Normal" Screening

[Ms...]

We are so excited to announce that Dr. Mark Horowitz, psychiatry trainee, academic and patient with an interest in de-prescribing, will join as a community discussion panelist for the July 11th Medicating Normal screening event.

If you're unfamiliar with Dr. Horowitz and his work, the following interview features him: https://www.madinamerica.com/2019/03/peer-support-groups-right-official-guidelines-wrong-dr-mark-horowitz-tapering-off-antidepressants/

Stay tuned as we will announce one more panelist soon!

Well done, MsAtomicBomb and Benzodiazepine Information Coalition! This is excellent news.  Dr. Horowitz is a beacon of hope for individuals (patients, prescribers, and advocates) who recognize the need for pharmacologically informed ways of tapering psychoactive medications.  The paper Horowitz and Taylor co-authored in Lancet Psychiatry (citation below) is intriguing, especially the sections titled Neurobiology of withdrawal and its management and Practical consequences of hyperbolic dose reduction

Lest readers are wondering what an article about tapering SSRIs (anti-depressants) has to do with benzodiazepines — my understanding is that the concept of hyperbolic dose reduction described by Horowitz and Taylor was informed by Professor Ashton’s work with benzodiazepine withdrawal.

Tapering of SSRI treatment to mitigate withdrawal symptoms

Horowitz, Mark Abie and Taylor, David (2019)

The Lancet Psychiatry, Volume 6, Issue 6, 538 - 546

Available online:

https://www.mentalhealthexcellence.org/tapering-of-ssri-treatment-to-mitigate-withdrawal-symptoms/

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you, Libertas!

I would also like to announce Dr. Josef Witt-Doerring as the last panelist for the Community Discussion after our Medicating Normal screening on July 11th. Dr. Witt-Doerring serves on our medical board and as a Medical Officer for the Food Drug Administration's Division of Psychiatric Products. He also works as a part time private psychiatrist. He is interested in increasing the recognition of psychiatric side effects.

ANNOUNCEMENT: There's been a change in the panelist lineup for the July 11th virtual community screening hosted by Dr. Witt-Doerring will no longer be a panelist. We are excited to have Dr. James M. Wright, M.D., Ph.D., FRCPC!

Dr. Wright....my hero.  He is the first doc I heard say the words, "I made a mistake and I am sorry."  That validation got me through some difficult months.  I so admire this man.

Thanks so much for this!!  I doubled my ticket.

Dr. Wright....my hero.  He is the first doc I heard say the words, "I made a mistake and I am sorry."  That validation got me through some difficult months.  I so admire this man.

Thanks so much for this!!  I doubled my ticket.

Oh I feel bad telling you that this person is not the same Dr. Wright. There is a correlation with that name and getting it!

This is the Dr. Wright that will be attending. He is friends with Baylissa.

https://www.chroniclejournal.com/life/health/ex-benzodiazepine-user-relating-to-peterson-says-withdrawal-hell-needs/article_a09b3286-6343-5c7d-8659-7746a223b30d.html

Ohhhh...That's alright.  Looking forward to it.  Do most people check benzo in the news?  Should ya post the link on the w/d or post w/d board??  I have been out of the loop for awhile. 

Ohhhh...That's alright.  Looking forward to it.  Do most people check benzo in the news?  Should ya post the link on the w/d or post w/d board??  I have been out of the loop for awhile.

Good idea I will do that now

Thanks for sharing this link, MAB! I wasn't able to take part yesterday, but I'll definitely check this out. I hope many people were able to join, and I do hope I'll have another opportunity to see the film itself. I know someone who got to see it, and she said it was very moving.

Thanks for sharing this link, MAB! I wasn't able to take part yesterday, but I'll definitely check this out. I hope many people were able to join, and I do hope I'll have another opportunity to see the film itself. I know someone who got to see it, and she said it was very moving.

Hi! I was informed today that there is another screening coming up unrelated to us. Woods Hole Film Festival. Medicating Normal's newsletter will be sending out details.

I didn't see it, either, although I bought a ticket. I'm hoping to in the near future! Thank you very much for being so involved, MAB!!

Hi! I was informed today that there is another screening coming up unrelated to us. Woods Hole Film Festival. Medicating Normal's newsletter will be sending out details.

Thanks, MAB! I'll see what I can find out about that. I appreciate the heads up. If you are on that mailing list and receive the info, would you mind posting it here, please? In the meantime, I'll check out the Woods Hold Film Festival Info to see what's there. I'm hoping the price won't be too steep.

I do regret missing yesterday's event, but the timing didn't work out for me.