Anxiety about health

[Fr...]

Good morning everyone!

Having really bad anxiety the last few days (I'm 3 months out from a CT from 1-3 mg of etizolam a day). Most of it surrounds my own health. I've lost a bunch of weight (to be fair, my metabolism was probably pretty slow from everything and I was definitely overweight), and have case of oral thrush that won't go away. I've basically convinced myself that something is seriously wrong with me, and that I need to go in and get bloodwork done. My scale actually says I seem to be getting healthier in terms of losing body fat (especially the visceral fat around my organs), I've just always thought of weight loss as a sign of something being seriously wrong. Which I guess there is, because I'm still going through withdrawal. But the anxiety around my health is getting really deabiliting.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of thing? Any advice would be great!

Hi FreeCeltic,

Anxiety about our health is really common in withdrawal, so is weight loss.  Anxiety can generally be cranked up in withdrawal and many of us worry about something being seriously wrong as we experience a variety of new symptoms. 

Please take a look at Chapter III of The Ashton Manual  to see a list of common symptoms - it includes most but not all of them. 

With our anxiety cranked up it can be hard to judge whether there is a valid reason to be concerned.  It may at least be worth a call to your medical provider for your own peace of mind.  It's your call.

This is often a rough journey.  You've made it through 3 months - that's great! 

Wishing you much strength and healing,

Brighterday  :)

Thank you Brighterday, you have no idea how reassuring that is! I've also thought about getting ensure or some kind of protein shake to supplement my meals to try to keep some weight on (I'm not struggling with appetite but am still losing the weight regardless). Hoping I can at least maintain weight for a while until I start to feel a bit better. And was thinking about giving my primary a call, just worried about being able to get in to see anyone with everything going on (which gives me even worse anxiety).

Hopefully it gets easier!

Thanks