New insomnia drug now available

[ru...]

https://au.finance.yahoo.com/news/eisai-launches-insomnia-drug-dayvigo-100500852.html

I, personally, have really benefited from the first in class orxin antagonist, Belsomra. This new drug, Dayvigo,  is very similar in method of action.  These drugs are not like the traditional hypnotics that have a tendency to knock you out, They actually allow you to get to sleep on your own and stay asleep by stopping the arousal transmitters that so many of us battle with,

Think of it this way, most all of us are familiar with narcolepsy and how  these folks sleep up to 18 hours a day and are still exhausted. The reason for this is they go immediately to REM sleep which is not restorative sleep. These patients are dealing with a lack of orxin activity in their brain. Some of us, on the other hand, have the exact opposite condition, too much orxin, or arousal activity.

If this sounds like it may be your problem, it may be prudent to talk to your provider about this new class of medication.

Drug free, natural sleep is by far the thing we all hope to achieve. I believe, however, there are folks who suffer with insomnia that must medicate to get any sleep. I have been battling sleep issues for over 2 decades. My issues are genetic in nature and effect 3 generations of my family.  So, I am grateful there are new drugs available to help us in the quest for a decent nights sleep.

I am glad it works for you.  I tried Belsomra for about 2 weeks and it did absolutely nothing.  Plus I never trust Rx drugs.  Sure, you might not get WD like you do from a Benzo but anything that messes with your brain chemistry could prove to cause problems down the road?  Again, I am happy you can benefit from it and maybe some others can too.  But as you said, drug free sleep is the best way to go, if possible.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So glad it worked for you. It costs $60 here in Australia and the first night it did nothing. 2nd night I had hypogognic hallucinations and sleep paralysis. So scary. Threw them in the bin

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...