How much Valium would be equal to 1 mg of xanax?

[...]

Hi,

I am going to ask my doc about switching to valium for the last part of my taper. I was wondering if anyone knows approximately how much valium would equal 1 mg of xanax? I'm sure the doctor will tell me but I don't completely trust doctors and don't want to be put on too much. Thanks!

It's not an exact science but most equivalency charts would say 1mg xanax = 20mg valium. Many would suggest gradually crossing over and I tend to agree. Instead of simply replacing the xanax with valium all at once, for 1mg xanax you might go for a couple of weeks at 0.5mg xanax and 10mg valium before completing the switch. You might even do 0.75mg xanax & 5mg diazepam for one week, 0.5mg xanax & 10mg diazepam for a week, then 0.25mg xanax & 15mg diazepam for a week before switching to 20mg diazepam. The reason you might do this is that while they are similar drugs that serve a similar function, they are still not the same and it is somewhat common to find the adjustment difficult at first.

I would not suggest incorporating a cut deliberately into your switch i.e. taking less than 20mg valium. The change in medication may well be difficult enough. If you're "lucky" (fingers crossed!) then it will be an easy switch and you can move on with your taper from valium without hanging about too long to stabilise. Better this way around (IMO) than not taking enough valium and feeling terrible taking an age to stabilise... or having to give up.

I think it's a very good idea to make the switch despite it possibly being difficult at first. You will be glad when you reach the lower doses because it takes care of interdose withdrawal for most people and it's easier to make smaller cuts, which becomes more important below 5mg diazepam.

Hello, SRR.

Like all other members of BenzoBuddies, I am a peer not an expert.  However, I do try to keep up with the medical literature on benzodiazepines.  Your question reminded me of a quote from a paper I read a while back. I share it in hope it might be of interest/help to you and your physician.

ALPRAZOLAM WITHDRAWAL SYNDROME

Often switching to a long-acting benzodiazepine with inherent accumulation of metabolites, followed by a gradual dose taper, are effective strategies resulting in a safe and smoother detoxification for most cases. However, interestingly, both chlordiazepoxide and diazepam were found to be ineffective in preventing alprazolam withdrawal symptoms in 2 separate cases (Schweizer et al., 1993; Sachdev et al., 2014). Lorazepam was also found to be ineffective in controlling alprazalom-induced withdrawal symptoms in a critically ill patient who was admitted to the ICU (Risse et al., 1990). This lack of response has been consistent when switching from a triazolobenzodiazepines, such as alprazolam and triazolam, to a benzodiazepine with no triazole moiety. The triazole ring may have a unique binding affinity for a subgroup of benzodiazepine receptors that are not generally affected by other benzodiazepines (Albeck, 1987), making substituting alprazolam with another benzodiazepine less effective in preventing rebound anxiety and withdrawal symptoms.

Reference:

Ait-Daoud N, Hamby AS, Sharma S, Blevins D. A Review of Alprazolam Use, Misuse, and Withdrawal. J Addict Med. 2018;12(1):4‐10. doi:10.1097/ADM.000000000000035. Accessed online 02June2020 at: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5846112/

@[Li...]

Been there, done that, on a different Medication (opiates).. I dont recommend it (the shock from a direct Cross Over on a dis-similar med while fragile..)... My biggest tapering mistake ever..!!

-Just my experience..

Thanks for the info..

:)

SSR,

I use this Conversion Chart... fwiw

https://www.benzo.org.uk/bzequiv.htm

:)