Need Help Titrating 0.5mg of Klonopin (Pill-Splitting Was Too Much for Me)

[so...]

Dosage: Currently taking just one 0.5 mg pill of Klonopin every night. Been on Klonopin about 3 - 4 months. Was used to treat anxiety I was getting from an autonomic nervous system issue I'm having. Nights are usually quite difficult for me, and I often suffer from insomnia and panic attacks. Cardiologist treating me wants me off Klonopin, says it's going to make me worse in the long run and prevent recovery. But he's not sure how to best get off it. Was told to speak to a psychiatrist.

Previous Taper Attempt: Tried pill splitting a couple week ago. Cut 25% of my dose and held (took 3/4th of the pill for 4 days). Psychiatrist said this was a good idea and I would be fine. By the 4th day my anxiety, derealization, panic attacks and nausea were absolutely unbearable, so I went back up. My psyc said he's never heard of anyone reacting like that, and that I should've been fine. He will not prescribe Valium to do substitution taper.

Would Like Help with Creating Titration Schedule: Cutting my dose by 25% was clearly too much for me to handle, even at such a low dose and having only taken it for a few months. I want to get off this drug ASAP, but also want to keep me symptoms bearable so I can at least function and continue to do what I need to do. But I understand this may take some months.

Would anyone be able to help me out with creating a titration schedule and give a bit of advice? I'm not sure what dosage reduction would be optimal for me. I can buy any equipment needed to make liquid solutions and get off this.

Also, does anyone have any proven supplement recommendations that ease withdrawal? I've seen a lot of contradictory advice all over the internet on supplements. I currently have magnesium, but that's it.

Thank you!

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll check it out. I'm not sure, but liquid seems to be easier and more accurate from what I've seen. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about uneven chemical distributions in a pill if I was dry tapering. Is this the case? Or am I misinformed?

I'd just like to go with whichever would be more accurate and comfortable. Also not sure if I should try splitting my dose up throughout the day to keep blood levels steady, even though I need it most at night.

Dry titration involves crushing your tablets and weighing your dose rather than making a solution, both are fairly accurate.  Most members will dose throughout the day depending on the drug they're taking, with Clonazepam, you may only need to dose a couple of times a day.

Many years ago I did a liquid titration of klonipin using whole milk. I used a 1 to 1 ratio. Then just drank the amount I was supposed to be taking. I went down from 3mg to .5 where I currently. If you do that you would use 50ml of whole milk. I think it's around 1.6 ounces of milk.

Thanks a lot for the link. I'll check it out. I'm not sure, but liquid seems to be easier and more accurate from what I've seen. Plus I wouldn't have to worry about uneven chemical distributions in a pill if I was dry tapering. Is this the case? Or am I misinformed?

I'd just like to go with whichever would be more accurate and comfortable. Also not sure if I should try splitting my dose up throughout the day to keep blood levels steady, even though I need it most at night.

Thank God you're doing this process now rather than years down the road!! Like a complete fool, I listened to my psychiatrist who started me on a relatively high dose of Xanax, eventually switched me over to klonopin, kept raising the dose, and added many many other meds into the mix along the way (see signature). I listened to him for 21 years!! I've been tapering 5 years and it has been a wild time. I seriously lost 26 years of life and still have a little ways to go to get off my lost med which is klonopin. Just FYI, I've been doing a liquid taper, and i found it to be really user friendly and it travels really well if I ever have to leave town or go somewhere for a long day away from home. Klonopin is super highly concentrated, so I like being able to make super tiny cuts along the way which can be tedious if you try to get those micro doses using dry cutting, but success can happen either way. Just learn what you can, follow your heart, and taper as slowly as needed. You'll be just fine. You can't go too slow, but you can definitely go too fast! Listen to your body and make adjustments along the way as needed, hold when necessary, etc. I was always told that the goal isn't to get off the klonopin, but to get off the klonopin healthy. If someone rushes the process, then they'll likely face protracted withdrawals well into the future. Great group here. You'll find your way, just stay positive and don't let the process dictate your everyday life.

My best to you!

Jeff