Awful memories feel I'll lose control

[Da...]

My last failed taper it got so bad I was sent to the ER. I was strapped to a hospital bed. I don't want it to happen again.

I'm so sorry that happened to you...our brains  love to fixate on our bad experiences in Wd....talk to yourself. " this is not last time...this will be challenging, butI can do this. "...Also, there is nothing the hospital can do for you - so you WILL NOT need to be there again -therefore YOU WILL not have that happen again.

I too have had experiences that want to revisit my head. i have found that talking logically to myself helps. Also having a therapist to chat to about these things can be helpful too - a good therapist.

Go out for a walk, do things that make you feel safe. distract from the thoughts. Its just a thought, its just a feeling - it cannot hurt you. tell yourself that, over and over if necessary.

Trina75 gives good advice.  If you can distract yourself, even for a moment.

Mindfulness is basic distraction.  I'm not an expert and certainly not disciplined with it yet, but today, I am really working on bringing my attention back to my abdominal breathing.  Catch yourself thinking about that past incident, and then bring your attention back to your breath or a sound or whatever.  Is there something that engages your attention that you can dive into?  For myself, being able to concentrate and attend to one thing is really hard right now.  But it's worth a try.