How much sleep to function?

[Ch...]

Hi read my signature for medical history. Presented with insomnia that started with covid starting/cancelled vacation over spring break.

Am now on 10Mg ambien which puts me to sleep but doesn’t keep me asleep 8 full hours.

Over the last 3 nights I have been waking up 1 hour earlier each day, 7:30, 6:30, 5:45, going to bed at 11.

I see some of you here getting only 1-3 hours of sleep a night and that scares the hell out of me.

Should I be happy with the ~5 hours I can depend on now? How many hours do you need to function. What do you use in the morning to get your energy? I have been avoiding caffeine after noon because I don’t want to struggle to sleep at bed time.

I will be off work in the summer and hope to kick ambien at that time.

I did lose my father to covid which he caught at a long term care facility. I haven’t even been able to process that since my sleep is out of whack.

When low sleep I get suicidal ideation and it’s starting to worry me, but seeing all you getting by with way less than me, coming off of “more addictive” meds, makes me wonder if I am being unrealistic in my sleep expectations.

Thanks for your view. Prayers needed, replies appreciated.

[16...]

It varies a LOT from person to person.  I think a lot of us bought into the idea that 8 hours was the 'right' amount.  So anything less can be a trigger for some people - even if they don't really need 8 hours.

I'm fully healed, and probably sleep around 5-6 hours most nights.  That's about how I was sleeping before I got started on benzos.  It used to bother me, but now I accept that it seems to be sufficient sleep for me.  During withdrawal, I slept anywhere between 1-2 hours (the first couple of weeks) to 3-5 hours.

8 hours per night is a myth and not true for a lot of people?  You don't need 8 hours per night or else something bad will happen to you.  You've been conditioned to believe that.  The "right" amount is what works for you.  Can you function the next day on the amount of sleep you got the night before?  I can function just fine on zero sleep from time-to-time.  I was only getting 5-10 hours per week for months after my CT.  And ask yourself this question (be honest) are you convincing yourself you "should feel like crap" if you don't get 8 hours?  I did for the longest time and then once I realized I could function on very little sleep, I felt a lot better.  Mind over matter.  If you don't mind, it doesn't matter!

You most likely won't need anything for energy after you get off of all of the Rx drugs you are on?  I was "wired" all the time and had enough energy to work through my WD and that was after not sleeping for 3 and sometimes 4 nights in a row.  I did that at least a dozen times.  It's not a contest, but a testament of what we are capable of.  We give ourselves too little credit. Some get caffeine via coffee or energy drinks.  It works for some, but many have an increase in symptom intensity.

Ambien is a Z class drug that works very much like a Benzo.  I would get off of all Rx drugs and let sleep return on its own.  Your body wants to sleep and you don't need drugs to help you sleep.  I started Benzos for sleep issues and now sleep pretty well.

The SI could be an interdose WD symptom?  It's actually a pretty common WD symptom.  I had it for several months after my CT.  I would call 800 numbers just to talk to someone.

Sorry you lost your father to COVID.  I believe you need to get off of all of the Rx drugs.  How long have you been on the Ambien?

Sorry for you're loss....If I get 6 hours of sleep I'm a happy man...so the 5 hours you get Isn't so bad. Ambien Is no different then a benzo. Take It long enough the tolerance will build, and you will need more and more too get those 5 hours of sleep.  My tolerance was through the roof when I Cold Turkeyed Ambien and didn't sleep for 7 days.

Like the poster above me said, you only need a few hours a night too function. I'm also guilty of panicking if the sleep Isn't happening. Like my set back last night.  At least you're only on 10MG of Ambien. You got this.

I believe you need to get off of all of the Rx drugs.  How long have you been on the Ambien?

68 days and counting. I hate what it’s doing to me. But the worse thing is to take it and wake up 3-4 hours later then sit in bed trying to return to sleep unsuccessfully. I never get 8 hours on it, 6 max. And never feel rested once up. Makes me wonder if drugged sleep is even sleep at all?

Thank you for your reply and advice.

You hit the nail on the head.  Rx drug induced sleep really doesn't allow your body to go through all stages of a normal sleep cycle.  It's not refreshing sleep and many experience next day grogginess and "fog." 

You haven't been on very long, so the sooner you get off the better, IMO.  After you reach tolerance (where the drug doesn't do what you expect it to do at the current dose) it goes down hill pretty fast for most.  You only have 2 options:  1) Updose (not recommended as it is a dead end road) 2) taper off

Some people, like me, choose to do a CT.  Although a CT is not recommended, sometimes its the only way some people can get off of a drug.  Either way, (taper or CT) there is no guarantee you won't experience some type of withdrawal?

I had severe insomnia for about 10 months then it slowly got better.  It wasn't the same intensity for the entire time.  Unfortunately the only way out of the mess you are in is through the healing/recovery process that can only occur AFTER you are off all drugs.  There are no shortcuts, potions or pills to take to speed things up or make symptoms less severe. 

You need to learn how to accept your lack of sleep and learn coping skills.  Instead of reaching for an Ambien, learn how to meditate.  It won't instantly fix your sleep, but it will help you cope while lying in bed not sleeping.  Also, even if you can't sleep, stay in bed as much as possible to rest your body.  Even if you can't sleep, your body needs rest.  Of course you can get up to go to the loo or get something to eat.

I would look through some of the older posts on this Insomnia board...I'll bet all of your questions will be answered with a little digging?

Good luck.

Cheeks:

I was also on Ambien and Ativan and had similar symptoms.  I’ve been off both for  three months now and my sleep has improved greatly. 

My Dr had me taper off Ambien first, then Ativan.  I never thought I could do it, but I am so glad I did.  It was rough for awhile, but now the symptoms are manageable and steadily improving. 

8 hours of sleep is indeed a myth.  Your body knows what it needs.  Since you will be off work, dispense with the alarm clock and just let your body wake up when it does. 

Trust me when I say that sleep is much improved once you are off of these drugs.

So sorry to hear you lost your father.  I hope you can find peace and healing soon. 

[16...]
Also remember that the notion of a single sleep period (at night) is a somewhat cultural invention.  While some in this country may argue for sleep restriction to force this single sleep period, other cultures encourage napping during the day (siestas, power naps, inemuri).  One size does not fit all with respect to sleep.  Do what works for you.

[1d...]
Sleep Deprivation is really my only sxs at this point and it’s just brutal, I’m doing everything by the book with a slow taper and I still just can’t knock out, I’m on a rough 4 day drought but I am getting dreams even though im awake, I still have a long way to go in my taper and even my midnight dose is making me have hot flashes and seems to be working against me so this journey just seems harder and harder each day, and I don’t see any changes to make, just accept the consequences and surrender is all, it’ll be what it’ll be, not sure how much holding would even help, just brutal

Like the poster above me said, you only need a few hours a night too function. I'm also guilty of panicking if the sleep Isn't happening. Like my set back last night.  At least you're only on 10MG of Ambien. You got this.

Thank you. Means so much. Too kind.

You hit the nail on the head.  Rx drug induced sleep really doesn't allow your body to go through all stages of a normal sleep cycle.  It's not refreshing sleep and many experience next day grogginess and "fog." 

You haven't been on very long, so the sooner you get off the better, IMO.  After you reach tolerance (where the drug doesn't do what you expect it to do at the current dose) it goes down hill pretty fast for most.  You only have 2 options:  1) Updose (not recommended as it is a dead end road) 2) taper off

Some people, like me, choose to do a CT.  Although a CT is not recommended, sometimes its the only way some people can get off of a drug.  Either way, (taper or CT) there is no guarantee you won't experience some type of withdrawal?

I had severe insomnia for about 10 months then it slowly got better.  It wasn't the same intensity for the entire time.  Unfortunately the only way out of the mess you are in is through the healing/recovery process that can only occur AFTER you are off all drugs.  There are no shortcuts, potions or pills to take to speed things up or make symptoms less severe. 

You need to learn how to accept your lack of sleep and learn coping skills.  Instead of reaching for an Ambien, learn how to meditate.  It won't instantly fix your sleep, but it will help you cope while lying in bed not sleeping.  Also, even if you can't sleep, stay in bed as much as possible to rest your body.  Even if you can't sleep, your body needs rest.  Of course you can get up to go to the loo or get something to eat.

I would look through some of the older posts on this Insomnia board...I'll bet all of your questions will be answered with a little digging?

Good luck.

Thank you for this most helpful post. Collectively from this forum I have had an epiphany that I must  be thankful if I get 5+ instead of frustrated  and suicidal that my body isn’t working right.

I have a follow up with the psych RN again on Monday. Hope to get a good plan in place.

I would not be opposed to CT as I will be off work for 3 month. I just hope my mental health doesn’t degrade in the changeover period.

Again thanks so much. I won’t hesitate to keep asking questions. You are all rays of light in my darkness.

Just be careful with a PsychRN.  All medical professionals mean well, but are very quick to write an Rx script to "solve" your issues.  They like to prescribe ADs when they are in doubt.  I would not accept or take any more Rx drugs.  I would taper off what you are on.

Do you happen to work in education?  I do too, but I am on a year round contract so I work through the summer.

I wish I could tell you what to expect if you did taper off or go CT.  I guess expect the unexpected.  My mental health deteriorated, but some of that was convincing myself I should feel like crap if I didn't sleep much.

TheWay:

I like your last sentence, it can apply to many different things. 

Convincing myself I should feel like crap if I didn’t ____________

A big part of recovery is letting go of destructive thoughts like this.

So much of the unnecessary mental baggage we carry is due to these kinds of thought patterns.

Just be careful with a PsychRN.

Do you happen to work in education?

I got the referral to her because I got suicidal thoughts one week in to starting Prozac. Now that I am getting broken sleep/ <5 hours a day those thoughts are returning, so I’m nOw wondering if all my symptoms were due tosleep deprivation? Which I’ll have to talk with her about Monday.

Today has been especially rough. I’m hoping tonight is a night of solid sleep up at 6 to get through work tomorrow.

I do work in education as a a school support staff. I’ve been able to fake keeping it together as I’ve only been working 4 hour days twice a weekend since our students are distancing learning.

Thank you for you time to address my concerns. I’ll try to update you all next week.