coming of klonopin

[ne...]

i was recommended to come here by a friend Ive been on Klonopin for 11 years  not a huge dose usually .5 mg 4 times a week  sometimes more  in the last year i realized my memory is bad  i have gone down to 2 pills a week for 6 months now 1 pill .5 mg every 7 days  i start getting symptoms day 5 and 6  i want completely off

Hello needhelp and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

It's great you've made the decision to get off Klonopin completely.  We'll help support you through your taper - you'll find a wealth of information and support from others who understand what this is like.

We generally suggest a slow gradual taper with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or as your symptoms allow.  We do not recommend skipping doses for days at a time.  Taking doses on an inconsistent basis is way too hard on the body which is working overtime to adjust to the functioning without benzos.  It's much more gentle on your central nervous system to adjust to gradual consistent reductions in dose. 

How are your symptoms?  I tapered off Klonopin too.  The symptoms were brutal but eased up over time.

Please explore the site and arm yourself with knowledge to help you plan a taper that is best for you.  I'll give you some links to help you get started.  Whenever you feel comfortable please feel free to post questions about your situation.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Ashton Manual

Other members who want to reply to your posts find it helpful to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Glad you're here!

Brighterday.  :)

Hi needhelp

Good for you deciding to leave benzos behind.

You take one .5 a week. 

How long have you been at this dose and schedule of once weekly?

Please don’t worry about seizures.  However, it’s true that a cold turkey from a high dose can cause a seizure.  Seizures are rare, but possible.  You can speak to your doctor about this.

I advise you not to suddenly stop.  Perhaps reduce a maximum of .125 and no more.  That is .5 cut into quarters.  You can reduce even less, but it’s a challenge with cutting one pill less than that.  The last of a taper can bring on some symptoms that you can avoid. 

You could get that compounded by the pharmacy, in to a liquid form.  Then you can reduce even less.

I realize you’re down to one dose a week.  You’re close to being over this.  But take care in how you handle the end of your taper.