Need advice ...sry so long

[Te...]

Hi. I was on maybe .25 to a half of even that (which was a half of the half of .5) of clonazepam for a few years...not everyday..basically as needed. So give or take 3 or 4 days weekly...but when some weeks were really bad 5 to 6 days. Sometimes I could got days without even taking it. I noticed about little more than a month ago that it made me start to have more anxiety and panic attacks which was extremely weird so I just stopped taking it. I couldnt sleep for anything for days so I took a sleep aid that made me freak out and have a really bad panic attack. So went to er got pushed off and went to a mental ward...they gave me more clonazepam and told me I could take a half then a 4th and in 4 to 5 days i can just stop taking it...so i did but i still was having panic attacks so i started taking it again and noticed it was still making me having more panic attacks so I started taking ativan .5 to 1mg for a few days ...notice it was giving me depersonalization really bad so I stopped it all.....now I'm free of taking it all going on 5 days ativan free and clonazepam 9 to 10 days free..except I didnt know anything about kindling so this week on tues I took a half of clonazepam because I didnt realize I was maybe having withdrawals...that one half of the .5 gave me anxiety allllll night and an er visit the next day so I said no more! And took an ativan 1mg Wednesday night again not knowing anything about kindling and that made me really sick. So now I'm on nothing. I'm just concerned now of will I have really bad withdrawals being I was never on it that heavy? I'm twitching and very nervous..how do I know if need to go to the er for twitching and shaking to much. I dont want to go back and they give me more benzo being I'm kindling now if I take them. I dont know what to do.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies Teness!

Glad you made the connection and realized that your benzodiazepines are making you feel anxious, panicky and that you decided to wean yourself off. Abrupt discontinuation can cause withdrawal symptoms the type of symptoms you have been experiencing. Insomnia, anxiety, panic attack, twitching and shaking are typical sign of withdrawal and it does not mean you have an underlying illness, these symptoms are just the sign that your central nervous system is trying to adjust to the reduction or absence of benzodiazepine in your body. Please look at the list of typical Withdrawal Symptoms. Taking benzodiazepines for years even if not everyday can make you dependent on them, so gradual taper is recommended before stopping. The Ashton Manual is a great source of information about benzodiazepines and it provides very useful, professional advice on how to deal with withdrawal, discusses withdrawal symptoms, explains what you can do to free yourself from them. Emergency room visits will only provide you with quick and temporary relief of withdrawal symptoms by giving you an extra "shot" of fast acting  benzodiazepine but to deal with the problems you need a long term plan and you need to stick with it. At his point considering the information you have provided you might want to stabilize yourself on a steady, appropriate dose of benzodiazepine, then start tapering. Usually 5-10 percent reduction of your previous dose in about every 7-10 days works for most people, but adjustment might be needed depending on how you feel. Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) could be helpful to put you on the right track. However the most important thing you need to do to educate yourself about benzodiazepines so you are prepared to handle what might be coming next with confidence and win the battle by eventually becoming benzo free. Please share your thoughts and experiences with BenzoBuddies and ask questions, we are all here to support one another.

I am no longer taking them . I just stopped they were making me sicker. Mylast clonazepam was monday and last ativan was Wednesday.  Before then I have not had any clonazepam for over two weeks.

Hello and welcome from me as well,

Although your usage was not regular, you did take it often enough to become physically dependent on the medication. That is likely why you started feeling withdrawal symptoms. You could have also reached tolerance to the dose you were taking, which can bring on some strong symptoms as well.

Personally I would stay away from what is called 'rescue doses', this can become a habit and once again lead to dependency.

If you are about 10 day free of benzos you are in the acute phase of withdrawal where the symptoms can be the strongest. Muscle twitching and anxiety are very common withdrawal effects. The most effective tool for me to get through this period was to distract myself from how I felt. I did this day and sometimes during the night.  I watched easy going movies, read books, did puzzles, crosswords and practiced deep belly breathing.

Your body is reacting to being without benzos and klonopin in particular is a very strong benzo. It may take a while for things to settle down, benzo withdrawal can be very challenging for some of us. Try reading some of the information that sherpa gave you, it's helpful to know what is 'normal' for withdrawal. You are not alone, we know what you are going through!!

pianogirl  :smitten:

I understand...but I did see although it's rare that during this phase a seizure may occur....what do I do if one does? I cant take anymore benzos. I would probably be sent to er where they will give more which will mess up the process....should I be worried?

Hi Teness

Welcome to Bb. 

Good for you figuring this out.  The benzos are now over.  You stopped.  Your journey was difficult.  But you are now benzo free.  At this point, I think you’re best to stay off them altogether.

The symptoms will go.  You will feel better. 

You are very unlikely to have a seizure.  This can happen with a cold turkey from very high doses.  But your not in that zone. 

Please try not to fear what may happen.  It hasn’t and you are already 10 days in. 

Try to settle your symptoms.  Take walks, distract yourself, breathe breathe breathe.  If panic occurs, and I know that’s the worst!, try to tell yourself this is a symptom and no panic attack lasts forever.

Here’s a bit of useful info.  Panic is fight flight response out of control.  Benzos put the vagus nerve to sleep.  It’s in your central nervous system.  You now have to wake it up.  It’s job is to activate when anxiety goes too far. 

Here’s a couple of ways.

Lay on the floor.  Prop feet up on the wall.  Focus on your breath.  Breathe in through nose count 4, hold count 7,  blow out through mouth count 8.  Do this slow.  Repeat repeat until you feel panic subside.  Blow out like blowing out birthday candles. 

Massage the area behind your ears and down your neck.  The vagus nerve is there.  Use lavender oil or a soothing oil. 

Run ice water over your inside wrists. 

You are healing. 

I’m happy for you that you’re benzo free.

Welcome!

Healing 64 sums it up nicely.

I was a rapid taper of off ativan. The first month  is just plain scary. Although I am still in the journey of recovery, I have experienced lessening or breaks from symptoms...hope that it does get better.

What has helped me is understanding what is going on with me and accepting that this healing takes time. Making supportive connections on this site has been a lifesaver on the hard days.

You can do this.

It hasn't been 10 days it's been 4 off ativan....but I was only taking ativan for about 1 week off and on I was on clonazepam before then been off that for about 10 plus days

It's still very early for you in this process.  I can't say it better than Healing, seizures are very rare.  Right now it's time to hunker down and let your nervous system recover.

PG  :smitten:

Hoo boy I can relate. I am going to try the suggestion to lay on floor and put my feet on the wall. Acute withdrawal is indeed scary! I can relate, for what it's worth. I am trying to avoid rescue dosing because I know it won't help but, like you, I am afraid of ending up in the ER.

Good luck to you.

Just want to clarify a bit more regarding seizures. 

As said, this is a rare occurrence.  Medical practitioners will tell you it tends to happen in cold turkey from high doses. 

If anyone fears this, speak to your doctor to be reassured.