What to expect tapering Xanax after a month

[Kh...]

I was given .5mg Xanax after my first panic attack 5 weeks ago. I used it sporadically at first, never used it more than 1x a day and often only took .25mg just at bedtime. I started Zoloft 2.5 weeks and since then have taken it every night to help with sleep.  Last night I took .125mg and barely slept at all. Then I did some reading today and have scared myself about coming off this. I initially planned on taking .125mg for 5 nights and then stopping. I'm not sure if that is wise now. I'm still having side effects from the Zoloft so I'm nervous about adding more but I really don't like taking this every night. Any advice would be appreciated! 

[a5...]

Hello Khristi and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

We are glad you've found us.  You have every reason to be concerned about taking Xanax on a nightly basis since one become dependent rather quickly on benzos.  It is possible you've become habituated to it even though you've only been on it for five weeks.

I've put a link below to frequently asked questions about benzos to get you started.

Frequently Asked Questions

When tapering, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is generally recommended.  I've given you a link to the planning your taper forum below:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Have a look around and get familiar with this website and when you feel ready, you can start a thread.  You'll find the information and support you've come for here at BB!

Best and again, welcome,

Kate