Klonopin taper over the next 4/6 weeks

[ds...]

I’m currently taking 0.5 mg Klonopin 2x a day and 1000 mg divalproex sodium after a hypomanic/mixed episode. I was on up to 0.5 mg of Klonopin in hospital up to three times daily. Previously, I was on Ativan up to 1.5 mg (0.5 mg 3x) for a month. So I was able to peel off the midday Klonopin dose as it felt like an updose and am now down to the morning and evening doses.

I’m planning a Klonopin taper and my psych said it’s a good idea if I can manage the anxiety without serious withdrawal symptoms and can pull it off slowly and comfortably. I think the divalproex sodium should help because it hits similar receptors and I might have to be on that longer term.

Hi dsp19,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  I'm glad you found us!  You'll find good information to help you plan your taper and support from people who understand this process.

Generally we support a taper with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or more as dictated by your symptoms.  A slower more gradual taper helps keep withdrawal symptoms more manageable and helps us maintain functioning.  A lot of people find it works better for them to let their taper be guided by their symptoms - making small cuts and waiting until their symptoms have stabilized before making the next cut.

I'm concerned that your taper plan makes cuts that are too large and over too rapid a period of time.  Klonopin is a powerful drug and can be rough to taper off of.  Before I found BenzoBuddies I personally tapered off the same dose as you over 5 weeks, guided badly by my psychiatrist - I learned too late that this was too fast and set me up for a lot of symptoms that were hard to cope with.  I urge you to check out the taper plans on Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) and plan a more gentle taper that won't put your body through the stress of a fast taper.  You can post there with questions about your own taper.

You'll also find support during your taper here: Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Other members who want to reply to your posts find it helpful to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you're here! 

Brighterday  :)

I think you’re right...the third Klonopin dose was obviously an updose but the other two have to be peeled off slowly as I heal

Hi dsp19,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!  I'm glad you found us!  You'll find good information to help you plan your taper and support from people who understand this process.

Generally we support a taper with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or more as dictated by your symptoms.  A slower more gradual taper helps keep withdrawal symptoms more manageable and helps us maintain functioning.  A lot of people find it works better for them to let their taper be guided by their symptoms - making small cuts and waiting until their symptoms have stabilized before making the next cut.

I'm concerned that your taper plan makes cuts that are too large and over too rapid a period of time.  Klonopin is a powerful drug and can be rough to taper off of.  Before I found BenzoBuddies I personally tapered off the same dose as you over 5 weeks, guided badly by my psychiatrist - I learned too late that this was too fast and set me up for a lot of symptoms that were hard to cope with.  I urge you to check out the taper plans on Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans) and plan a more gentle taper that won't put your body through the stress of a fast taper.  You can post there with questions about your own taper.

You'll also find support during your taper here: Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Other members who want to reply to your posts find it helpful to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

We're glad you're here! 

Brighterday  :)

So something like this:

May 23-25: get some good sleep each night

May 26: start cutting the morning dose from 0.5 mg to 0.4 mg. If no side effects in 5-7 days, cut that dose again to 0.3 mg, and so forth.

I already made a cut from 3x daily at 0.5 mg to 3x (0.5, 0.25, 0.5) to removing the middle dose altogether in hospital over 10-12 days.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies dsp19

If I understand correctly this would be your plan  " May 26: start cutting the morning dose from 0.5 mg to 0.4 mg. If no side effects in 5-7 days, cut that dose again to 0.3 mg, and so forth."

However, the recommended cuts are supposed to be no more than 5-10 percent of your previous dose. So if you are on 0.5 mg the 10 percent of that is 0.05 mg not 0.1 mg you are planning on dropping from 0.5 mg to 0.4 mg that is a 20 percent cut. Please look at BenzoBuddies Tailored Taper Plans to more precise explanations.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies dsp19

If I understand correctly this would be your plan  " May 26: start cutting the morning dose from 0.5 mg to 0.4 mg. If no side effects in 5-7 days, cut that dose again to 0.3 mg, and so forth."

However, the recommended cuts are supposed to be no more than 5-10 percent of your previous dose. So if you are on 0.5 mg the 10 percent of that is 0.05 mg not 0.1 mg you are planning on dropping from 0.5 mg to 0.4 mg that is a 20 percent cut. Please look at BenzoBuddies Tailored Taper Plans to more precise explanations.

If I go that slowly then I'll have to ask for another Klonopin prescription in July and I started to get Ativan shakes between doses in April (however, I was not on a mood stabilizer in addition to Ativan)

sap

You may have to get another prescription before you complete your taper.  I can’t imagine you would be complete by July.  That’s only 6 weeks away.  If you cut as fast as you imagine, you’re very likely to run into problems.  Please take your time.  There’s no getting through this fast. 

• 2 months later...

Well I went about this far more slowly than planned and I think it's working. I cut a quarter of a pill at a time over 3 months and now I'm on 0.5 mg daily at night instead of 1 mg daily with few side effects.

High point: 1.5 mg/day (3 0.5 mg pills), mid May, which was overdoing it

1.0 mg/day, (2 pills), late May

0.75 mg/day (1.5 pills), late June

0.625 mg/day (1.25 pills), early August

0.5 mg/day (1 pill), now

So that means the next cut should be sometime after September 15 (down to 3/4 of a pill). I could also consult with my prescriber to switch to Valium just to taper as I have voiced my preference to look into that as an option once I started cutting the last pill.

I'm also doing a strict no alcohol and low caffeine (one cup of coffee a day max) regimen

sap

You may have to get another prescription before you complete your taper.  I can’t imagine you would be complete by July.  That’s only 6 weeks away.  If you cut as fast as you imagine, you’re very likely to run into problems.  Please take your time.  There’s no getting through this fast.

As it turned out I got another prescription in July and I will be able to stretch it out until October (or switch to Valium by then). I took the advice of people on here to go more slowly. I also take Depakote which I think is helping substantially since it hits the same receptor (plus a few others)

Thanks for letting us know - so glad slowing down has made a big difference for you. 

Wishing you much continued healing!  :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...
I started the cut/weaning process from 3/4 of a pill (0.375 mg) to 1/2 a pill (0.25 mg) per day. 3 days in and aside from a couple of moments of anxiety and a little weirdness with digestion, all is well. I seem to be having some minor symptoms that I can work through. My process is very slow though. I need at least 2 weeks to make each cut, if not more. I think the last cut took almost a month.

My weaning process:

High point: 1.5 mg/day (3 0.5 mg pills), mid May, which was overdoing it

1.0 mg/day, (2 pills), late May

0.75 mg/day (1.5 pills), late June

0.625 mg/day (1.25 pills), early August

0.5 mg/day (1 pill), late August

0.375 mg/day (0.75 pills), early September

Switched to Valium 5 mg in late September, felt uncomfortable; main symptoms were itchiness and irritability

Switched back to Klonopin 0.375 mg/day last week, became more comfortable again

0.25 mg/day (0.5 pills), October 10

It looks like you've found a taper that works for you, I'm glad to see you went back on Klonopin fairly painlessly after the Valium experience.  Just remember you can always adjust your taper if you get too uncomfortable. 

I see you've sworn off alcohol for now, smart move, I've seen too many members run into problems when they reintroduce it too soon.