68 YEARS OLD - PROLONGED BENZO WITHDRAWAL

[NH...]

I have suffered from anxiety off and on since college.  First formally diagnosed with panic disorder in 1983.  Treated off and on for years with Xanax, Zoloft, Lorazepam and Lexapro.  In February 2019 I was tapered off of Lexapro too quickly - 30mg reduction in 3 weeks.  After that I suffered increasing anxiety.  Various doctors prescribed Prozac, Buspar, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Lorazepam, Lexapro (again) and Gabapentin during the next 10 months to try to get the anxiety under control.  My primary issue is fear of illness.  As a result, the symptoms related to starting up, then withdrawing from these medications simply exacerbated my most basic fear of illness.  Latest psychiatrist is a very good doc who suggested that I try Atarax.  Same problems occurred.  Now I am taking a 0.23mg clonazepam and 0.3125mg alprazolam daily, trying to taper off the clonazepam 5% at a time.  Withdrawal symptoms are really scary and relentless.  Just recently developed a variant of restless leg syndrome, which is now following me into the day.  I would just like to know that I am not crazy and that others have experienced similar problems and have eventually come out of this nightmare unscathed.  The introduction of COVID-19 into the picture has not helped me in any way. 

Welcome to BB, NHCookie.

Since the main symptom of withdrawal is anxiety, I’m sure this is especially difficult when one had pre-existing anxiety.  That said, you are not crazy and with time are most likely to come out of this medication withdrawal nightmare.

Let me give you a link to our Withdrawal Support (during your taper) board to begin posting to the wider community.

Other members replying to your posts generally prefer to know where you are in the process, so here’s how to add your benzodiazepine information automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your pertinent info (benzodiazepine, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Take care,

Challis  :smitten:

The Ashton Manual is a comprehensive and highly regarded free online resource about benzodiazepine use, withdrawal and recovery. If you’re not familiar with it we recommend having a look.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

Benzodiazepine withdrawal can cause many symptoms as the central nervous system adjust to the decreasing amount benzodiazepine in your body. Symptoms can mimic many health conditions and they can definitely cause health anxiety. You constantly need to remind yourself that the bodily sensations and mental symptoms are just withdrawal symptoms and they are not caused by underlying illness. It would be ideal if you could consult with your doctor time to time about your symptoms and he/she could reassure you. If there is any concern that the symptom you have might be caused by a health issue it is a good idea to identify it and resolve it. So do not hesitate to report any new concern to your doctor. Most people know their body relatively well and can tell if something new, probably unrelated to withdrawal symptom shows up but with health anxiety it is difficult to remain level headed. Please look into the Ashton Manual as Challis99 already recommended it and find the list of withdrawal symptoms. Knowing what to expect and how to deal with the problems, being prepared can help to relieve your health anxiety. Cognitive behavioral therapy, mindfulness, progressive muscle relaxation can also be helpful reducing symptoms and learn a non-pharmaceutical method to deal with anxiety.

Hi NH

Welcome to BB.  Good you found us 🙂.

Yes, people come out of benzo withdrawal fine.  People heal.  This is the very good news.  You are likely to feel much better on the other side.  Many say they feel better than they have in years.  So, keep that thought alive.  Focus on healing and healthy outcomes.

Withdrawal is unpleasant.  No way around this.  Some have mild symptoms and some much harder. 

Your taper of 5% is very reasonable.  Take your time.  Tapering .23 mg clonazepam at such reductions will be ok.  Take the time needed, to minimize symptoms and succeed.  Let your brain catch up to your reductions. 

Anxiety is a challenge.  Anxious people attach to every anxious possibility.  My counsellor used to say ‘that’s your anxiety talking.  It looks for a place to hang it’s hat. ‘. So covid is a place to hang it’s hat.  I know.  I have been healing from a life long anxiety disorder, panic, ptsd, insomnia etc etc. 

Here’s what I think.  I am not my panic.  I do not identify with it.  I’m not under it’s control.  It’s an effect of traumas, and trauma effects can be healed.  I lean into alternative healing ways.  Benzos and meds can go.  Yes, I’m tapering, but they can go.  I am much more involved in meditation, naturopath remedies that are given by a qualified naturopath, diet, exercise.  This puts me in charge of my healing.  Not a pill. 

So, keep going.  Because you’ve got this!

• 1 month later...
Thank you to all who left information and messages.  I became overwhelmed by the number of folks who are dealing with this issue and the variety of symptoms so many of them described and didn't come back to this site until now.  I think I am finally coming to terms with having to ride out this withdrawal (down to 0.2mg clonazepam daily, soon to be a fraction less), to be followed by withdrawal from 0.3125mg alprazolam, for as long as it takes.  I am using self talk, CBT with a trusted doctor of several years, good nutrition and moderate exercise to deal with this on a daily basis.  I am also trying to remind myself that the symptoms are NOT signs of other illnesses, which does have a positive effect when I can consistently apply the concept.  There is also a book called 'Hope and Help for Your Nerves - END ANXIETY NOW' by Dr. Claire Weekes that is a terrific resource.  It was written in the 60's, so the jargon and situations are a bit dated, but her approach to dealing with anxiety is very much like Dr. Heather Ashton's approach to benzos.  Thank you again for your help.  Hope all is well with you.