New at tapering

[Bo...]

Hi. I've been looking for an online support group for tapering and discontinuation symptoms. I've been prescribed clonazepam for 6-8 years and used as prescribed. I was prescribed 1 mg daily. I was then prescribed down to .5 mg daily for three years. Started with a new medical provider 3rd February 2020 and my taper. My present taper is .25 mg daily. In 2015 I had an interruption in health insurance and had to stop "cold-turkey" for two weeks and experienced depersonalization and irritability. It appears I'm very vulnerable to discontinuation symptoms despite my low dosage.

[a0...]

Hi Boots90 and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

You aren't alone in having symptoms from tapering or stopping a benzo.  There are plenty of people here at BB who have experienced what you did when you stopped cold-turkey.  Even with tapering, symptoms can be tough.  That said, there is hope for long-term users to get off benzos and go on to have a good life!

I've put a link below to the taper forum for you.  Generally speaking, a reduction of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days is recommended.  Going slowly enhances your chance of success and minimizes symptoms.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

We are glad you found us!  Take some time and get familiar with this website as there is a wealth of information here.  Planning, education and support are three key ingredients to letting benzos go from your life. 

Best,

Kate

Hi. I've been looking for an online support group for tapering and discontinuation symptoms. I've been prescribed clonazepam for 6-8 years and used as prescribed. I was prescribed 1 mg daily. I was then prescribed down to .5 mg daily for three years. Started with a new medical provider 3rd February 2020 and my taper. My present taper is .25 mg daily. In 2015 I had an interruption in health insurance and had to stop "cold-turkey" for two weeks and experienced depersonalization and irritability. It appears I'm very vulnerable to discontinuation symptoms despite my low dosage.

Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

You are right, sometimes even a seemingly low dosage such as 0.25 mg Clonazepam can cause withdrawal problems when attempting to reduce the amount taken. Clonazepam is very powerful, even small amount can have very strong effect. According to  Benzodiazepine Equivalency Table 0.25 mg Clonazepam equals 5 mg Diazepam (Valium)and when you look at it that way it doesn't look that low anymore. Benzodiazepines are central nervous system depressants and they slow down brain activity and when you develop tolerance to your regular dose or you start reducing your existing dose you may develop withdrawal symptoms you experienced as your central nervous system begins to overcome the effect of the drug. If you plan your taper according to guidelines provided in The Ashton Manual  you should be able to minimize withdrawal problems. Please share your thoughts and experiences with BenzoBuddies!

Hi and welcome!

.25 is not a low dose.  Only compared to high doses.  But it’s a significant dose.  It’s awesome you’ve got down to this from 1mg!  You’re headed in the right direction.  Be patient.  Reduce only 5-10% of your current dose as you go.  It has a long half life, so symptoms can occur for a few weeks after a reduction.  Small reductions minimize this problem.  Your symptoms do not indicate that you’re overly sensitive to reducing.  These are very common withdrawal symptoms.  If you struggle to reduce this low amount, because the pills can’t be cut that way.. consider getting your prescription in a liquid compound.  Ask your doctor and you need to use a pharmacy that compounds.  You can use the provided dropper to make smaller reductions.  As you get lower in dose, this will be very helpful.  Clonazepam can’t be evenly cut after .125 or so.  Even dosing is important.