More than halfway through my Valium taper

[dd...]

Hi,

I would like to join this community to find support for the last half of my Valium taper. I was previously prescribed 20mg daily for about 5 years, but I've been on Valium (15mg, 10mg, etc.) for more than a decade.

My psychiatrist suggested I start tapering last October because my dosage was no longer effective in controlling my anxiety and I would have to take increasingly higher doses with no end in sight.

Anyway, I am currently on 8mg. I went very slowly at first, but my state is in complete lockdown and I'm working from home. I was doing 5% cuts and now I'm doing 10% cuts while I can.

I'm getting worried about the last end of my taper, even though my doctor said I can hold indefinitely at 8mg because of the increased stress of the COVID-19 pandemic, etc. I don't really want to do that, however. I feel I've made progress and can continue right now, reserving the hold for when I feel worse.

It's been a difficult journey thus far, but I know that the the latter half of a taper can be the most difficult.

[58...]

Hello dddrose and welcome to BenzoBuddies,

It is good to hear that you have a wise psychiatrist who recognized benzo tolerance and recommended you taper off.  It sounds like you have made good progress but yes, the pandemic certainly has added a layer of challenge to tapering!  And yes, the end of the taper can be the most challenging.

I've put a link to the withdrawl support below.  If you are like many of us, you've had symptoms during taper but the good news is that most people do heal from benzo use.

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

I hope you'll take some time and become familiar with this website as there is a lot of helpful information here.  When you feel ready, you can start a thread.  The members tend to be the supportive types you are seeking.  We're glad you found us!

Best and again, a warm welcome,

Kate

Welcome to BenzoBuddies dddrose!

It is great that you managed to successfully reduce your dosage on your own so far. Most people slow down and/or decrease the amount they cut each time as they approach the end of their taper to ensure smooth transition for the central nervous system to accommodate changes without benzodiazepines. Some people do really well with their taper some experience withdrawal symptoms. To learn about benzodiazepines and how to withdraw from them, to understand how the body respond to the decrease and how to handle potential withdrawal symptoms it is a good idea to study The Ashton Manual. Also, you could check out the Valium Support Group for more specific discussions about tapering from Valium.

Please share your story with BenzoBuddies! Do not hesitate to post your questions we are here to listen, share and support.