Has anyone upped their med during an acute wave? (Remeron)

[Di...]

Greetings Warriors...

It is so sad when your worst fears come to pass.  My little half cup of tea with Valerian over a week ago has sent me into a VERY bad wave for the last 8 days. (What was I THINKING??? - Idiot)    My first wave in over 6 months...and my symptoms mirror acute.    :( 

My saving grace during horrible acute withdrawal was Remeron, which I started last October...but I have weaned down from 7.5 to 1.8.  I upped my dose to 1.9 the last 5 days, but really don't feel much better .  My Dr is absolutely no help (just wants to send me to a psychologist). 

Do I stay the course and ride this out.. or should I up my dose?    I'm trying to be thoughtful about this and not make "knee jerk" changes.  But with no guidance AGAIN, I just feel like I am being pulled back out into the sea of insanity.

I'd love to hear your thoughts...

With you on the oopsie of half cup of tea...during this taper, once had two sips of beautiful freshly made coffee, and it was enough to derail things for several days. In my case, I just wanted to taste something I'd previously looked forward to every morning during normal life. Bit me in tookas so I learned my lesson. :tickedoff:

I'd shy away from increasing the Remeron again. If you choose to, I'd say only if absolutely desperate, and then only temporarily. It's a lot harder to back up and then taper again with any drug. Ashton says updosing rarely helps. With two different tapers, I have maybe twice returned to previous level when a cut resulted in two or three days of hell. Would then stabilize for few days and try the cut again.

I found vitamin C and non-flush niacin very helpful for anxiety and sympathetic symptoms. When having a wave, I might take x6 doses spread out during the day. No ill side effects and really helped to calm things down. Niacin gave major sprouting of new hair all at once. (Good thing as the old had come out in clumps.)

If shaking or tremors, taurine helped. Be sure to eat as can lower BS. Written supplement details on other posts.

Recently added the proprietary blend Relora to the mix. 2 capsules at once will almost put me to sleep; 1

capsule helps to relieve any anxiety or racing thoughts.

Understand the frustration, just would hate to see the problem get compounded.

• 2 weeks later...

With you on the oopsie of half cup of tea...during this taper, once had two sips of beautiful freshly made coffee, and it was enough to derail things for several days. In my case, I just wanted to taste something I'd previously looked forward to every morning during normal life. Bit me in tookas so I learned my lesson. :tickedoff:

I'd shy away from increasing the Remeron again. If you choose to, I'd say only if absolutely desperate, and then only temporarily. It's a lot harder to back up and then taper again with any drug. Ashton says updosing rarely helps. With two different tapers, I have maybe twice returned to previous level when a cut resulted in two or three days of hell. Would then stabilize for few days and try the cut again.

I found vitamin C and non-flush niacin very helpful for anxiety and sympathetic symptoms. When having a wave, I might take x6 doses spread out during the day. No ill side effects and really helped to calm things down. Niacin gave major sprouting of new hair all at once. (Good thing as the old had come out in clumps.)

If shaking or tremors, taurine helped. Be sure to eat as can lower BS. Written supplement details on other posts.

Recently added the proprietary blend Relora to the mix. 2 capsules at once will almost put me to sleep; 1

capsule helps to relieve any anxiety or racing thoughts.

Understand the frustration, just would hate to see the problem get compounded.

Thank you for responding... I appreciate your insight so much!!

I'm starting Week 4 of this wave and it is getting "slowly better"...but I mean SLOWLY!  This level of med is just "barely" working and hasn't been a stable dose for me even before this crash.    I'm trying to ride it out, but it's tough.

My big challenge now is TEA.  Obviously, I will be staying away from Sleepy Time Extra (as I thunk myself in the head).    I have stopped all of it for now.. just not sure.  But I love tea!  Especially Chamomile.  It helps SO much, but I've read conflicting opinions on it.    I have pretty much been drinking that and "Tension Tamer" throughout my recovery...but now not sure. 

Thoughts?

Hi Diana,

I'm sorry you've been in a miserable wave.  Just want to weigh in on Chamomile - it seems to work well for some and not for others.  If you've done well with it previously I don't see why you should avoid it going forward.  I've personally found Chamomile very helpful.

I hope your wave ends soon,

Brighterday

Hi Diana,

I'm sorry you've been in a miserable wave.  Just want to weigh in on Chamomile - it seems to work well for some and not for others.  If you've done well with it previously I don't see why you should avoid it going forward.  I've personally found Chamomile very helpful.

I hope your wave ends soon,

Brighterday

Thank you Brighterday... :)    Your input means so much...    God Bless...

Diana