2 months in

[Fr...]

Greetings!

I started taking etizolam around 18 months ago because I was able to acquire them through a friend. Drank heavily the majority of the time taking them. As the Covid situation worsened, I lost my supply and was forced to cold turkey and enter withdrawal. I've taken propranolol (is prescribed by my doctor for anxiety) and vitamins in order to cope. Symptoms do come and go, but I've generally felt horrible for the majority of the time. I'm worried I've created a worse situation for myself by going cold turkey and have thought of going back on to taper properly, but that seems silly given I've gone over 8 weeks without taking a pill. Just hoping things get better soon.

FreeCeltic,

Welcome to the site! I'm so sorry for what you are going through, but know that you are not alone. World events have affected all of us unfortunately, and what a rough way to have to be taken off of the medication.

Could you maybe share the dosage you were on and the frequency you took them? This can be helpful information for those of us trying to give you safe advice in your situation.

You're going to feel rough for awhile. These are powerful drugs which actually affect every system in our body. the brain and body arena trying to re-regulate themselves without the medication. It takes time to heal.

Here we recommend a slow taper normally, but since you are 8 weeks out, reinstating might not make much sense, and restarting the med might actually make you feel worse  - there is no promise it will bring "relief".  Avoid alcohol as well. It acts on gaba just like the med did and will actually interfere with your healing.

Here is a link to the work of Dr. Ashton. There is great info in here to help you understand what is going on with your body and what to possibly expect in the healing process.

The Ashton Manual

Look around the site. there are different boards to go on to find support and info. You might find these two helpful:Cold Turkey, Detox & Rapid WithdrawalPost-withdrawal Recovery Support

Also, many find it helpful to read these on days where it feels like all is lost - its not:)

Success Stories

Others have come through a CT and healed. I had to do a rapid taper and am still in the healing journey.

This is doable. Be patient with the process.

All the best!

I took anywhere from 1-3 mg a day for just over a year. Some days are better than others now, some days I still struggle to get out of bed and accomplish anything. Much of the rebound anxiety I have centers around my health, which makes going outside during the current situation difficult. Hoping for improvements so I can find some sense of normalcy here.

Rebound anxiety is definitely common, and especially morning "doom and gloom". We all get a bit obsessed about something during WD especially in the beginning. (and world events don't help... I have chosen to drastically limit my media/news as I feel the flood of negative info is not helping with healing).

The healing is definitely not linear..ups and downs. sometimes one thing gets better for a bit, then is possibly replaced with a new thing. they all do fade eventually. Patience and acceptance truly is vital in all of this. Be kind to yourself and go day by day for now. 

congrats on 8 weeks!

i know its easier said than done right now given COVID, but try to stay away from booze as much as you can. i drink, and usually the next morning it gives me major anxiety. some people will tell you its like starting all over (which i disagree with) but it will set you back emotionally for a couple days depending how much you drank.

glad you made it to the board! lots of good information and support here