Need help, not sure I can do this. Is there Inpatient txt to medically support?

[Ti...]

I have been on 2mg Xanax at bedtime only for insomnia for over three years.

Inter dose withdraw symptoms had me convinced I had a chronic illness for the past year (muscle twitches, nausea, etc).

I finally decided to divide my original dose by three and take it 8 hours apart.

A few days in I have noticed only very subtle changes in my physical symptoms.  On top of that, I get only a few hours of sleep a night.  I'm at wits end. 

How long does it take the body to renormalize to regular dosing, generally? 

I'm completely overwhelmed as I continue to go without food and sleep, I don't know how I can manage going forward.  Is there anyplace, anywhere that compassionately provides medical assistance with a taper?  Anyplace that compassionately treats this physical dependence?  I'm feeling really desperate now that I have realized how serious this is.  I had a seizure once (when I missed a dose years ago), never even put the two together.  I'm terrified.

I've noticed a lot of people read but don't comment.  If you have anything to offer, please send a word of encouragement!

Hi Tiki.. :)

Yes, its usually about 10 views to 1 reply (ish)..  One gets used to it after a while, as its probably just a reflection of how many of us feel at various times throught this process.. :)

Anyways, I dont know of such a place, and the times involved would make it pretty expensive..

All the evidence I have seen points to a patient lead taper that is based on ones own symptom profile and intensity levels being the best way for people to achieve their goals of getting med free, -and remaining so... 

A lot of the support and info needed falls on the online communities to fill..

Sorry, just a quick reply as I head to bed..

Sending strength, and best wishes..

:)

Tiki-

I'm so sorry you're having a rough time with withdrawal.  Not getting enough sleep makes everything much harder.  It can be so hard to find the strength to keep moving forward.  But as we push through everyday many of us discover we have more strength in us than we ever knew.  I think you will too. 

The general consensus on BB is that going to a facility for Benzo withdrawal is not good because they taper you too fast and discharge you without the support you need to handle the ensuing symptoms.  Many of us would have loved to have a kind compassionate setting in which to withdraw under the expert guidance of benzo knowledgeable professional caregivers.  Unfortunately, this appears to be a fantasy.

I see you've reached out for guidance on your taper elsewhere on the forum - you're very new to the forum but soon you'll gather the information you need to put together a plan for a slow careful taper that works for you.

It can be a painful road to travel, going through tapering and withdrawal symptoms.  People on the forum understand this and can give you support and good information.  I know it can feel frustrating when you don't get responses right away or just a few.  Remember, people on the forum are coping with their own feelings at any given time, again as Cantfly said.

It really helps to just read through posts that look helpful (while avoiding ones that you sense may trigger you negatively) and glean tips and guidance for yourself.  Also, Success Stories are so important to read.

Hang in there.

Wishing you much strength,

Brighterday

Hi Tiki.

I took 2mg of Xanax too, and that’s where I began my own taper 9 years ago due to tolerance issues. I took it four times a day because it is only therapeutically effective for 4 hours or so.

Sleep will probably be disrupted for some time, frankly...benzodiazepines are powerful tranquilizers and it will likely take awhile before normal sleep is restored. Chamomile tea helped me at least relax at night, occasionally I slept a few hours at a time and eventually normal sleep returned.

You might consider taking .5mg three times a day and then another .5mg at bedtime.  That schedule should help with interdose symptoms.

It may take a week or so for your body to adjust to schedule changes though.