fear/anxiety attacks without panic

[tr...]

Has anyone else had them? Your head hurts, your feel dizzy and nauseated, and you feel an overwhelming sense of doom. But you do not feel out of breath, nor does your heart race or beat quickly.

My experience is that a normal panic attack will feel more like heart racing, then chills, then out of breath, then a sense of needing to move around, then nausea, then maybe you start truly feeling scared.

These other types are much harder to deal with, and much easier to become frightened of. It feels like a combination of fear, brain zaps, and a migraine.

Personally, I think outright panic attacks are much more difficult to deal with than even the worst anxiety.  I never had panic attack kinds of anxiety but I watched my mother go through it.  She was constantly getting taken to the ER only to be sent home with xanax.  Anyway, yes I have had the kind of anxiety you describe, though mine was more often the not being able to stay still/pacing/ rapid heartbeat type.  How long do those spells last and is there anything you do to lessen them/ get out of that feeling of doom?

So far, what's worked is getting my mind off of it, and on to something else that actually requires thinking. And getting myself warm, almost to ridiculous levels.

I do think it might be a type of panic attack, just without the normal breathing or heartracing symptoms. That's what I'm saying is easier--when you have those to focus on instead of the rest of it. Plus, usually the mental symptoms are not as intense.

Plus, I find that I've dealt with the traditional panic attacks enough that I tend to know how to deal with them instinctively. Not so much this other kind.

If distraction works for you, you have found a way to deal with it and good for you!  I kind of forgot how important distraction was for me at one time so I wouldn't start obsessing about the bizarre feelings and thoughts.  :idiot:

Well, it's worked once. I do remember it not working back when I had this much earlier in withdrawal. And I'm having trouble getting it to work now, even though the anxiety isn't nearly as high. I just feel like I'm near the cusp of it, and I'm finding it really hard not to be afraid of it, which, from what I understand, makes it more likely to happen.

Do you guys get adreniline rushes with your panic attacks...I do and then it turns into chills and week arms ect...Panic attacks are newto me an so scary....I have also had the anxiety that your talking about and have it everyday...

I have the kind of anxiety that lpct mentioned - I am wakened by adrenaline rushes and burning in the legs and then the anxiety kicks in big time.

I breathe rapid and shallow and I can't get it under control real easily.  I do breathing - and sometimes it helps and other times, no help at all -

the anxiety has a mind of its own.  I wonder if it is due to negative thinking on my part of is it just part of the withdrawal and it is my brain saying

to the body and mind - OK get shaking and worried.....This is such a hard thing for me right now - I can't sleep or eat.  Any ideas would be helpful.  I have written alot of ideas down from this Anxiety site and will be trying them.  I think my anxiety attack could turn into a Panic attack if I allow my mind to go in the direction it wants to.  How awful - I feel like my mind is tryng to hurt me.

thank you

Hoping2B Free

• 4 weeks later...

Hoping2Bfree,

I know exactly what you are going through.  I have the same symptoms that how I got started on Klonopin. I have been off for 2 months now it is hell. I was told I have a neurotransmitter imbalance so I take supplements for that and some days I do feel it helps.  I still struggle if I am just in withdrawl or return of original syptoms. Keep in touch. :)

I think, i know what you mean, trkly.

Feels like a fist sitting in your stomach, you know exactly where it comes from, but you can`t fight it. That`s the exactly kind of panic-or better fear-attacks that i have.

The funny thing is, nobody ever noticed when i had one...not even my husband. I had to tell him, and he said he is there for me and went back to his computer-game. Don`t misunderstand me, he is very dear to me, but he is afraid himself and totally helpless, cause he believed all the time that i am strong...just like anybody else believed.