New here, Need help w dosing to avoid daytime Vomiting

[Ti...]

I've been on 2mg of Xanax every night for insomnia for 3+ years.

The past few months I've been experiencing unusual symptoms during the day, ranging from restlessness, irritability, short attention span, to poor appetite, nausea, and cyclic vomiting.  On several occasions, once I started vomiting I couldn't get a regular nightly Xanax in, and went downhill from there, into cold turkey withdrawal at one point (I'm only realizing this looking back now).

I've been to all sorts of doctors in every specialty for these daytime symptoms, only now making the connection to possible inter-dose withdrawal.

I've had a successful night on 1.5 of Xanax.  If I start having unmanageable symptoms during the day, would I be better off taking the remaining .5 of Xanax, or trying a longer-acting benzo like Clonazepam?  If I do take Clonazepam, how do I know what a comparable dosage might be?  Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer validation or support! 

• 4 weeks later...

Well, I'm going to reply to myself here so I don't feel so badly.

Don't worry, you will figure it out.

It's a support group but everyone else has there own stuff going on.

If your weight drops too low or you start cyclic vomiting you can go to the ER.

Just because people don't reply doesn't been they don't care.

You are not alone.

I've been on 2mg of Xanax every night for insomnia for 3+ years.

The past few months I've been experiencing unusual symptoms during the day, ranging from restlessness, irritability, short attention span, to poor appetite, nausea, and cyclic vomiting.  On several occasions, once I started vomiting I couldn't get a regular nightly Xanax in, and went downhill from there, into cold turkey withdrawal at one point (I'm only realizing this looking back now).

I've been to all sorts of doctors in every specialty for these daytime symptoms, only now making the connection to possible inter-dose withdrawal.

I've had a successful night on 1.5 of Xanax.  If I start having unmanageable symptoms during the day, would I be better off taking the remaining .5 of Xanax, or trying a longer-acting benzo like Clonazepam?  If I do take Clonazepam, how do I know what a comparable dosage might be?  Thanks in advance to anyone who might be able to offer validation or support!

Klonopin is some pretty scary stuff. I can't really jump in and say you should or shouldn't cross over to that because I've been putting k into my system for about 26 years and I obviously don't see any good in it. I've been tapering off it for many years and it's been a crazy ride. It seems like you may be better finding a dose that you think you could hang on to in order for symptoms to resolve (assuming your symptoms really are a result of the X), and then begin a very slow and small taper process adjusting as needed along the way. I've done a liquid taper almost the whole way, and I like it because I can make mega small doses for each day. My body just can't tolerate more than that, so dry cutting would be a challenge. Keep researching but also listen to your body. You'll find your way!

My best to you :)

Jeff

Your reply to yourself made me laugh, Tiki. What did you end up deciding to do? I taper lorazepam, so I don’t feel comfortable commenting much on K or X. One thing I do feel comfortable saying is that interdose withdrawal is a beast. It started inside of my first week of taking lorazepam, and absolutely nothing made me feel better until i stabilized. For me, this meant not taking one dose a day...instead, I divided my doses throughout the day. At first, two doses did it. As I tapered lower, I broke it into three.

I would strongly recommend feeling stable before you begin your taper. If daytime issues are plaguing you, it may be worth a try to move doses around. The Ashton Manual says it’s preferred to taper off your original benzo...although it may not be possible for some on these short acting benzos due to strong symptoms between doses. I had the strong symptoms, but they resolved with regular dosing throughout the day.

Best wishes.

Your reply to yourself made me laugh, Tiki. What did you end up deciding to do? I taper lorazepam, so I don’t feel comfortable commenting much on K or X. One thing I do feel comfortable saying is that interdose withdrawal is a beast. It started inside of my first week of taking lorazepam, and absolutely nothing made me feel better until i stabilized. For me, this meant not taking one dose a day...instead, I divided my doses throughout the day. At first, two doses did it. As I tapered lower, I broke it into three.

I would strongly recommend feeling stable before you begin your taper. If daytime issues are plaguing you, it may be worth a try to move doses around. The Ashton Manual says it’s preferred to taper off your original benzo...although it may not be possible for some on these short acting benzos due to strong symptoms between doses. I had the strong symptoms, but they resolved with regular dosing throughout the day.

Best wishes.

I guess he figure it out :)