Announcement: It is with regret... ×

Apprehensive about switching from Lorazepam to Diazepam

[Lo...]

Hello all!

It’s been quite some time since I’ve posted in here. I originally started on 2mg of Lorazepam per day back in 2016, and after a bad reaction to an antidepressant my doctor tried putting me on in 2017, I decided to come off of everything. Well, try to at least. I tapered my way down to 1.5mg of Lorazepam and been holding since then. Having a full time job and needing to function put a damper on my taper. But lately, things have been getting worse as I am having daily inter-dose withdrawal and it’s just making my life miserable.

I have been thinking about making the switch from the lorazepam to diazepam but have my apprehensions. One being my doctor tried to switch me to Klonopin last year, and the first dose I took  of it to replace my pm dose of Lorazepam did not go well at all. I woke up the next day feeling like a zombie. I felt so drowsy and fatigued. I’m afraid this will be the same story for the Valium. But I have to try something, anything to get off these terrible drugs.

Any advise anyone could offer on their experience with this crossover would be really appreciated!

I never crossed over, I was put off by reading about depression and sedation other members posted about with diazepam.  I made smaller cuts instead.

Where are you in your Lorazepam taper? Can you update your signature?

Hey! Thank you for the response. I’m currently holding at 1.5mg - .5 in morning, afternoon then evening. It was necessary for me to hold as I couldn’t function at my full time job during the taper. But now since I’m not working full time I’ve decided to get the ball rolling again on taper.

Good time to do it since it’s likely you’re in a lower stress zone if you’re not working, which really helps when you’re tapering.

Have you thought about dosing four times a day or are you not having withdrawal symptoms between doses? I tapered Xanax at four doses daily and didn’t have trouble with interdose symptoms.

I haven’t tried 4x per day, since I’m already doing 3x per day. And yes, I would say 4/7 days it’s pretty gnarly inter-dose withdrawal. I used to only take it 2x per day but then I figured the 3x per day would curb the ID Withdrawal which it did for a few months up until the point I’m at now. It gets pretty bad especially with driving. Something needs to give.