Did a cold turkey on 14 - 17 mg of valium

[Ni...]

Hey all so today I started my cold turkey of 14 to 17 mg of valium after having used benzodiazepines for around 8 months.

So far the only considerable symptom I'm having is benzo belly, abdominal pain.

Will the symptoms get worse as the days pass?

Hard to say, but most likely yes.

I only had sleep issues when I did my CT.  The symptoms got worse over time for me.  That doesn't mean they will for you too, but there's a good chance?

Expect the unexpected.  There is no rhyme or reason with symptoms.  They WAX and wane and new symptoms can appear out of the blue.

But everything you might experience is temporary.  The symptoms won't last forever.

Nikitis:

Curious as to why you did a cold turkey? Was this your choice or doctor imposed?

Regardless, there is a great possibility you will experience WD symptoms. Valium is a longer acting benzo so it stays in your system longer. this means you may not feel any WD symptoms right away. As the drug leaves your system your body will most likely try to adjust to the changes.

Do you have someone near you that is aware of your CT off the med that can possibly check in on you? I am concerned for your safety as there are potential risks with CT especially on higher doses. For this reason (and others) we promote a slower taper process when discontinuing these meds.

If the effects of CT rock your world, you could possibly reinstate to your normal amount and begin a slow taper. This should be done within the first few weeks however.

Whatever the near future brings, know you have support here. Keep us posted. 

It was my own choice to do a CT because a girl I know also CT'ed off 2.5mg of Ativan she took at night for sleep, which she had been taking for 6 months. She didn't have any symptoms after her CT so I figured I wouldn't have them either.

So far so good this first day of CT, no anxiety except for a hour in the midday after taking vitamin C but that went away after taking magnesium citrate in water and a shower. Now know I shouldn't take vitamin C anymore.

Will keep you guys posted.

Vitamins and supplements are funny - some people tolerate certain ones fine and others do not. You just need to see what works for you.

I'm holding my breath and crossing my fingers for you. I did a rapid taper off of a "low dose" (doctors words not mine )ativan after a years use...I'm feeling it. Each day is different.

I was very wary of supplements. Eight years ago when I joined BB, a lot of people were taling about Magnesium helping wd symptoms.  S0, I spent a bit of money on the "right" magnesium and took it religiously. Did NOT help at all so I wasted about $20 and believe me, back then I could NOT afford that. What I learned is that there is NO other med, vitamin, etc. that can make benzo wd easier to bear. HUGE waste of money.

But if you have money to burn, go ahead and waste it.

east

Wow, your friend CT off 2.5mg Ativan with NO withdrawls?

Lucky dog, dodged a bullet.

Valium has a longer life, but I truly hope you dodge it as well!

Let us know how it goes, hopefully you won't need us, but we are here if ya do :)

Today went well, until I had McDonald's, got heart palpitations afterward. Went away after magnesium citrate water. Feeling a bit weird in the head ever since the McDonald's. Like my brain is lead, or hard plastic.

Should I reinstate? Today symptoms were worse than yesterday.. Could be due to the Tylenol I took yesterday evening.

Probably not the tylenol, I know I can take it with no problems.

I believe you are experiencing some WD. I'm going o be honest (not to scare you) but I feel you will notice more in the days to come.

Whatever choice you make, do it logically, and plan accordingly.

I'm pretty sure once I took the Tylenol my heart palpitations started and I had symptoms of low blood pressure (feeling like I was going to fall if I stood) I slept very bad also due to mosquitos. The Tylenol definitely caused these crazy symptoms to appear which followed up through in the morning.

I'm thinking of reinstating on a lower dosage, would that be a good idea?

Edit: I took 10mg of valium, I'm reinstating

I feel like the benzos have less effect, that is until I took plenty of n acetyl cysteine now they have more effect again.