Do therapists really work?

[...]

Hi all,

I'm currently tapering off lorazepam.  Originally prescribed up to 3mg by a pshychiatrist in hosp pysch ward for GAD.  Couldn't relax for about 20 hrs.  I still have anxiety issues & would like to see a therapist.  I'm unemployed & no ins.  Would have to use savings; hubbie not happy about that.  Do therapists really help?  Or is anyone familiar w/the Linden Method?

TIA,

Kita

If you find the right therapist for you, I think therapy absolutely does work for anxiety, especially Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).  If you do go, I recommend letting your gut feelings about the therapist and your mutual "chemistry" to determine whether you return.  I went to some who charged reduced fees (when I had no insurance) and the fit wasn't right but I stuck with them because of the cost.  That was a mistake and I wasted a lot of time and money.  I've heard the Linden method mentioned here before but don't know anything about it. You might try doing a forum search.

The Linden method in a nutshell: embrace your anxiety. Try to make yourself panic. And, once you get through with panic, ignore your anxiety and act like you are perfectly fine. And drink chamomile tea for sleep.

And he also tells you about what we would consider an overly rapid taper that he did. I really don't think he gets benzo withdrawal.

I can't tell you about therapists, because mine refused to see me after I became housebound a few months in.

Well, I will admit that I've been in therapy for my OCD since I was 8 years old, so I do know that therapy works for normal anxiety. I just don't know how well it works in benzo withdrawal. But most people seem to report success.

I'm hoping to get in contact with a more local therapist that can make house calls. Heck, I'd even take a case worker until I can get out again.

I sent you some info regarding the Linden method in your other post hun on welcome to the community. It didn't really help me much to be honest. Also I did try seeing a therapist, and she just didn't understand w/d and actually going to see her made me more angry and depressed so I stopped going. Some people on here have mentioned going to great therapists though, so if you can find one that understands w/d that may be great for you.

I wondewr the same....since it benzo causing it...how does therapy help....I tried it once...it didnt do much for me...I mean its so chemical for us in w/d  :(

Because therapy actually manipulates the chemical. That's the point.

The only reason I can come up with that therapy wouldn't work is if it depends on functioning GABA. And the only technique I can think of that could require that is Exposure therapy. And I've never had a therapist force that on me.

Then again, I'm also very, very assertive with therapists now. I tell them straight out what I expect from them. If I finally do get a therapist who will come to my house, I plan on telling them that I don't care if they believe I'm in withdrawal, as long as they let me set my own pace, and they don't try to discourage me from believing it.

My main reason for wanting a therapist is so I know I'm doing all I can to get better. Plus, I want someone I can talk to to calm me down.

And, anyways, have you not noticed that a lot of what they teach you in therapy is what is mentioned here as helping people get through this? That's the point. If you don't approach therapy as a cure, but as something to help you through, I think you'll do a lot better.

It may work if you have a good therapist who does the kind of therapy that's right for you.

I had severe agoraphobia and had a really good therapist who was doing cognitive-behavioral therapy. It cured my agoraphobia, it really worked for me. I recommend CBT for anxiety disorders.

I was seen for CBT (anxiety,and panic) for about 10 times,it worked,last couple session i was "hooked up" on some small machine.I was gonna buy this but it had to be shipped to doc's office since i was only used for doctor's ,(in Canada you can order directly ,but in Usa can't, dont know why) ,so my therapist suggested to buy one never got around to buy it.With that thing i would fell anxiety free for about 12-24 hours. I don't know if anyone else tryed this ,it can be used about twice a day,as doc/therapist told me,but here is link.

http://www.mindalive.com/2_1_8.htm

Hey Buddies,

I been seeing therapist threw this ordeal a woman when I first started threw my insurance.. Now I'm with a male that's great he has years of experience in all types of settings I really believe you have to click with your therapist & I really think everyone is not build to be a therapist when I had my first couple of appointments I told him what was going on he understood he know the meds blunt everything.. If I didn't have god & him to work this out I don't know where I would be.. I really believe withdrawl brings alot of issues from the past & alot of other things so therapy is great if you have a good one that is experienced.

Because therapy actually manipulates the chemical. That's the point.

Interesting.  Is this from an article you have researched or your own personal experience?  Could you expound on this statement?  Thanks  :)

It's something I read a long time ago. In fact, my best psychologist may have lead me to reading it. It was either in people being treated for depression or OCD, and that, after successful therapy, their brains showed the same changes that happened with drugs.

Google is not being my friend. This is the best I can find. Scroll down to the last section. The study referenced is here

It's something I read a long time ago. In fact, my best psychologist may have lead me to reading it. It was either in people being treated for depression or OCD, and that, after successful therapy, their brains showed the same changes that happened with drugs.

Google is not being my friend. This is the best I can find. Scroll down to the last section. The study referenced is here

Thanks trlkly  :thumbsup: