Author Topic: Do therapists really work?  (Read 1966 times)

[Buddie]

Re: Do therapists really work?
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:27:15 am »
It may work if you have a good therapist who does the kind of therapy that's right for you.

I had severe agoraphobia and had a really good therapist who was doing cognitive-behavioral therapy. It cured my agoraphobia, it really worked for me. I recommend CBT for anxiety disorders.
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 04:38:37 am »
I was seen for CBT (anxiety,and panic) for about 10 times,it worked,last couple session i was "hooked up" on some small machine.I was gonna buy this but it had to be shipped to doc's office since i was only used for doctor's ,(in Canada you can order directly ,but in Usa can't, dont know why) ,so my therapist suggested to buy one never got around to buy it.With that thing i would fell anxiety free for about 12-24 hours. I don't know if anyone else tryed this ,it can be used about twice a day,as doc/therapist told me,but here is link.

http://www.mindalive.com/2_1_8.htm
Suggestions, opinions and/or advice provided by the author of this post should not be regarded as medical advice; nor should it substitute for professional medical care. Consult your doctor before making any changes to your medication. Please read our Community Policy Documents board for further information.

[Buddie]

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:55 pm »
Hey Buddies,

I been seeing therapist threw this ordeal a woman when I first started threw my insurance.. Now I'm with a male that's great he has years of experience in all types of settings I really believe you have to click with your therapist & I really think everyone is not build to be a therapist when I had my first couple of appointments I told him what was going on he understood he know the meds blunt everything.. If I didn't have god & him to work this out I don't know where I would be.. I really believe withdrawl brings alot of issues from the past & alot of other things so therapy is great if you have a good one that is experienced.

[Buddie]

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2010, 08:26:18 pm »
Because therapy actually manipulates the chemical. That's the point.

Interesting.  Is this from an article you have researched or your own personal experience?  Could you expound on this statement?  Thanks  :)

[Buddie]

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2010, 01:38:05 am »
It's something I read a long time ago. In fact, my best psychologist may have lead me to reading it. It was either in people being treated for depression or OCD, and that, after successful therapy, their brains showed the same changes that happened with drugs.

Google is not being my friend. This is the best I can find. Scroll down to the last section. The study referenced is here

[Buddie]

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 09:04:21 pm »
It's something I read a long time ago. In fact, my best psychologist may have lead me to reading it. It was either in people being treated for depression or OCD, and that, after successful therapy, their brains showed the same changes that happened with drugs.

Google is not being my friend. This is the best I can find. Scroll down to the last section. The study referenced is here

Thanks [...]  :thumbsup: