Effexor prescribed to treat my vertigo/dizziness... anyone ?

[Iw...]

I am terrified to try any ADs but neurologist wants me to take Effexor for these acute vertigo/dizziness and migraines like migraine prevention. He suspects my vestibular neuritis has triggered these vestibular migraines.

Can you please share how Effexor has or didn’t work for you?

Thank you

restoration, I’m not sure. I was pregnant in 2017 and had some episodes that lasted awhile. It was more triggered by electronics and watching cars drive by made me feel like I was moving. It would come and go. But now it’s more constant with migraines

I’m on 150 mg Effexor XR (prescribed for major depressive disorder). It hasn’t helped much with migraines, but I’ve only ever gotten maybe 1 a month. When I first started it the dizziness was pretty intense. I would go on walks and it would feel like I was walking down stairs and tripped, but I was walking on a flat surface. It did go away though. It took a couple months but it slowly got better.

IwillRise, my Dr gave me Effexor long before benzo's.  In the beginning, it really sped my system up for several months.  Then it eased off, I can't say it ever really helped me with my migraines.  Everyone is different though, but ad's often rev symptoms in withdrawal.  Good luck.  Mary 💜

That’s a great point Mary! Antidepressants are activating drugs, that’s part of why many people experience sleep problems and anxiety when they start taking them.

I’m on 150 mg Effexor XR (prescribed for major depressive disorder). It hasn’t helped much with migraines, but I’ve only ever gotten maybe 1 a month. When I first started it the dizziness was pretty intense. I would go on walks and it would feel like I was walking down stairs and tripped, but I was walking on a flat surface. It did go away though. It took a couple months but it slowly got better.

Kitesune, are you saying you only got the migraine when first starting Effexor? Or it was maybe a small side effect from taking it?

My doctor believes I have vestibular Migraine with the vertigo

I had migraines before taking Effexor, but I’ve never had more than one a month. I take it in the morning. According to my doctor SSRIs and SNRIs should only be taken in the morning because of their activating properties.

I had vertigo because of anti-psychotics in a high dose.

I was on Effexor at same time but no vertigo since reducing the other meds.

If you on Effexor XR you should take morning.

If it is standard release you can take any time

I had vertigo because of anti-psychotics in a high dose.

I was on Effexor at same time but no vertigo since reducing the other meds.

If you on Effexor XR you should take morning.

If it is standard release you can take any time

Terua, do you still have vertigo or any dizziness issues now that you’re off them?

Hi there

No vertigo issues since reducing anti-psychotics

I understand what you're going through. Vertigo is not nice but is rarely dangerous.

My guess is that they are anxiety symptoms (there are hundreds). Effexor has been very good for my anxiety.

Teru