Barbiturate withdrawal, here we go.

[Ju...]

So just a few days or a few weeks ago, I was talking about going cold turkey on barbiturates. Well I tried it and it really sucked so I went back on them. It kind of felt like benzo withdrawal in a way.

The reason I wanted to do it was because I'm tired of taking pills, and also because I thought to myself, maybe I'm not healing from benzos if I'm taking barbiturates. Nobody really knows for sure. All I know is I kept waking up in the middle of the night burning up and then I would be freezing when I started taking them again in the morning. Too many variables. There's tons of them aside from being hot and cold.

And my mood was all over the place all the time, sometimes in a good mood sometimes in a horrible mood. So I started thinking maybe it's the barbiturates. So I told my doctor I wanted to get off of them and she recommended just taking them at night so I don't have to deal with them during the day and I could eliminate all of my doses other than one.

So I tried that multiple times and listened to medical advice only to have horrible withdrawal every morning and afternoon because of no dose. So I started thinking, if I'm going to have horrible withdrawal every morning, I'm going to get it over with for good. And I'm just not going to take any medication anymore and go against my doctor's medical advice.

It's not like she's telling me I can't do it, she's just recommending I take them at night. Well I don't feel like doing that. I'm really stubborn and I do dangerous things. I want freedom in the future from Pharmacy's and doctors. She is aware of that. So I'm just going to stay off of them and if symptoms ramp up, oh well. I would rather get these symptoms out of the way for good and be medication free in the future just like benzos.

It was the same thing with benzos, the doctor told me I should taper but I didn't and went cold turkey and I'm glad I did. I got it out of the way really quickly. If I had tapered, it would have been going on for years because of the amount I was on. And obviously I'm not going to a hospital any time in my life ever again, because they waste your time and make things worse. That's just my opinion at least. So cold turkey it is. Last night was my last dose.

So I'm going from 150mg to 0 within a day. So let's see how this gets. If anybody has done this before, feel free to message me or respond with how it went for you. I don't know anybody else that has gone through barbiturate withdrawal.

Wishing you luck, Justin. Barbiturates depress the CNS so you may have some symptoms... sometimes just knowing what to expect helps get through it.

Thanks, Challis. Yeah I did my research on it, it sounds like it's going to be similar to benzo withdrawal. So I guess I'm tackling two things at once basically. But I was only taking 150 mg of primidone per day, so everything says that equates to about 50 mg of phenobarbital or so. So it shouldn't be nearly as hard as the 8 mg of Klonopin cold turkey. And I didn't take them as long as the Klonopin either. So I will be fine. We all heal from Gaba drugs for the most part.

Thanks, Challis. Yeah I did my research on it, it sounds like it's going to be similar to benzo withdrawal. So I guess I'm tackling two things at once basically. But I was only taking 150 mg of primidone per day, so everything says that equates to about 50 mg of phenobarbital or so. So it shouldn't be nearly as hard as the 8 mg of Klonopin cold turkey. And I didn't take them as long as the Klonopin either. So I will be fine. We all heal from Gaba drugs for the most part.

As long as we don’t do this repeatedly I think you’re right.  Although I did take benzos over and over because I didn’t know better...and never tapered until the last time because that one was when it all caught up.

Me and you both, I didn't know about the kindling or relapse or whatever you want to call it, either. I just assumed you go back to taking your medicine and your anxiety goes away and that's all there is to it. Well, I was very wrong. And on this last time, it caught up majorly with me as well. Only difference is I did not taper, I went cold turkey like an idiot to get it over with quick and then the hospital relapsed me for a couple days and then it was cold turkey again. 10 months later, I'm still having bad symptoms on and off.

I don't think the barbiturates were covering anything up, but now that I'm off of them I think they were making things worse. I think I'm healing more quickly now. It seems like my withdrawal is in fast forward now. Almost like they were holding everything up and I wasn't able to heal.