Insomnia and ‘Relapse’ Support

[Sh...]

Hello all,

I was hoping to get some help in relation to insomnia and avoiding getting back into the habit of taking benzo’s to help you sleep.

I was taking anywhere from 10-40mg of Diazepam a night to sleep for several years.

I have managed to come off them with the help of a therapist and the beta blocker Propranolol which helps to ease the physical symptoms of anxiety.

I’m not working at the moment though and this is always a trigger for me to start taking Benzo’s to help me sleep.

Just wondered if anyone had been through something similar and what sort of tips you could offer that have helped you keep on the right track.

The temptation to take a Benzo when you’re not sleeping at all is obviously really significant!

Thanks.

First, I would get rid of all Valium or any other Benzo in your home, so in a moment of "weakness" you are not tempted to take anything.

Second, don't get your prescriptions refilled and tell your PCP that no matter how much you beg, to not write you any new Benzo scripts.

Third, find something to distract with.  Go to bed with the expectation that you might not get much sleep and you are "OK" with that.

Fourth, come up with a mantra that you repeat over and over regarding sleep.  I had a few.  I liked:  "I'm healed, I'm well, I can sleep."

Fifth, listen to relaxing music or even "sleep stories."  Calm has free resources at this time, including sleep stories, because of COVID-19:

https://www.calm.com/blog/take-a-deep-breath?utm_source=lifecycle&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=difficult_times_nonsubs_031720

How long have you been off?

I took Benzos for sleep as well and did a CT and had a pretty significant WD that was very intense for about 10 months. 

Insomnia was my worst symptom.  I sleep pretty well now.  You can do this!

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Some great suggestions. Throwing out ‘my stash’ is so obvious but something I haven’t actually ever done. There’s comfort in knowing they’re there if you’re desperate but I guess it goes without saying that having them in the house just creates temptation!

I actually bought a lot from the internet (not clever, I know!) as I’m the UK, doctors are quite unwilling to prescribe Benzodiazepines for a long period of time. The thing is, that process still requires me to go through a few hoops and I’m hopeful that will be enough of a deterrent to stop me ever buying them again.

That idea of saying ‘it’s ok if I don’t sleep’ is so powerful. It is something I’ve been using with great effect. It’s just harder to do when you have a ‘big’ day lined up for the following day!

I took Diazepam for 2 years almost every single night. After that I went CT as well which wasn’t fun I have to say. I think I was over the worst of the withdrawals in maybe 3 months but the anxiety has never really gone away and I don’t think I had it anywhere near as bad before I started walking down this road. Since then I’ve been off and on different Benzodiazepines for the last 3 or so years.

As it stands I’ve been completely clean for 3 months and I do feel so much better  I have to say.

What type of withdrawal symptoms did you have if you don’t mind me asking? And do you feel clear of them now?

Thanks again, it’s always great to hear from people who’ve had a similar experience. As unpleasant as it has been for us both!

I had a lot of symptoms that are listed in my signature in addition to severe insomnia. 

I have completely recovered from all of the symptoms and my sleep is 95% of what it was pre-Benzo as I average 6-8 hours pretty much every night.

I wrote a success story that is on the bottom of the main success story page that describes my symptoms and healing/recovery journey in a lot more detail.

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=191732.0