New to Withdrawls and Hospital Stays

[le...]

Hi my name is Leandra (Lee) I am 28 and just joined today, I posted my story on the welcome new memebers fourm but wanted to post something here as well.

I am in the hospital now doing a massive FAST detox a four day on off plan I went from xanax (off now for 5-6 days foggy) they changed me to Valuim and now are tappering me off that!

Day one= 40mg of V's

Day Two=30mg of V's

Day Three=20mg of V's

Day Four=10mg of V's

Day Five= nothing and being watched then let go the next day!

I am on day three now I have only had 10mg so far today I have a fever now, first one through the taper, upset stomach,shaking,site and eyes feel like they shake, and my brain feels like a tuning fork has hit it and it wont stop!

So thats me for now I just want someoen to talk to to let me know what is NORMAL for withdrawls and what I should watch for. I know that I am in a hospital but that dont make it any less upsetting,painful, or scary! :thumbsup:

Hi Lee,

Welcome. This is a wonderful place to get support.  Glad you found it.

In my personal opinion, they are tapering you off the Valium entirely too fast.  I can't give medical advice and tell you anything beyond what my gut says and from what I've learned personally...but I hope you are able to reinstate on the Valium, go home, and continue a gradual taper.

Please keep us posted.

Leslie

Hi Lee,

You said you were on 6 mgs of Xanax and tapered to 1.75, how long did that take you?  It will help us to know how serious your situation is.

Pam

I tapered from 6mg to 1.75 over MONTHS .25 every two to three weeks like I was told to then at 1.75 was changed up to the V's and was told it would not be a change I should feel at all , but instead of starting me off on a lower dosage like 20mg or something my doc gave me 40mg and then I took more cause I was getting sick so I ended up take 50mg pretty much for about 5 days before I got here in the hospital. They say it is safe to do it this fast...They are doing my blood pressure every four hours temp. and heart rate I feel sick but not HORRID so I guess I am doing ok they are giving me stuff to help with me throwing up so I am eatting and stuff and my panic is pretty much GONE other than ONE attack two days ago, but I know this is because I feel like I am safe here I am being let go late tommrrow or Monday after my last dosage they give me!

1.75 of Xanax should have put you at a Valium dose of 35 mgs of Valium, so 40 wasn't too far off.  Of course, it's very important to do a slow crossover, substituting the Valium as you reduce the Xanax, because Valium takes awhile to build up in the blood.

It is safe to do this fast, if you're in a hospital setting, but as Deborah says, the severe withdrawal symptoms will show up when you leave.  It would be best if you do feel horrible after this, to reinstate and do a slow taper.

Does anyone have any ideas on what a normal Blood Pressure should be in detox ?

Like I am buying a BP cuff when I get out of the hospital- what should I watch for in dips and uppers

Does your BP go up or down when you get close to a sezuire or stroke??

Is there a way to help keeping from having a sezuire while stopping the benzo? ( I know you should not cold turkey due to health problems, other meds, and the thoughts I may never have kids if I dont get off NOW drive me to do so)

Any and all advice is welcomed with open arms

God Bless

Lee :thumbsup:

I imagine your doctor can answer most of those questions, Leandra. I really don't know if there is any relation between BP and strokes or seizures. We aren't medical professionals, just members of a support forum. 

Are you being given other drugs during this fast detox, such as phenobarbital?  If so, it's possible they will continue them for a while after  you are discharged so as to prevent the possibility of a seizure. You should ask your doctor about that, too.