how to quit from a week of Diazepam 10mg/day. Taper or no taper?

[Ga...]

I had been benzo free for 2 years after a 2 month taper from being 5 years on .5mg Clonazepam 3 times a week. Withdrawal symptoms were terrible and lasted close to a year. After being symptom free for a year, 6 weeks ago I developed flu symptoms which lasted a month (low grade fever, chills, cold sweats, body aches) last couple of weeks my symptoms were muscle weakness in legs and arms (all day on and off), burning sensation in thighs and arms, fatigue, cold sweats and allergy like symptoms at night. Could not function, could not work. Covid test negative. Drs suspected might be some post-viral neuropathy, or post-viral chronic fatigue syndrome. Because I could not sleep, my blood pressure was constantly high (I do not have hypertension) and was feeling very nervous all day, I succumbed  to Dr suggestion that I do a short course of Ketazolam 15mg (Equivalent to 10mg Diazepam, and has the same long half-life). After 4-5 days all symptoms were gone. Can anyone relate to this?? Can withdrawal symptoms suddenly reappear years later with force? Or triggered by some virus? More importantly has anyone had experience coming off benzos after a week of use? Should I stop cold turkey or should I taper after only one week of use? Any insight would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Wow, it sure sounds like you should have tested positive but I've heard there can be false negatives, I wonder if you could get an antibody test to know for sure?  But, to your crazy symptoms, it sounds like you were sick and that set off a bunch of symptoms which the benzo took away, really strange.

I'd get off of the drug quickly if I were you, but only you will be able to figure out how fast.  If you're willing to experiment with this in order to find out how quickly you can do it you'll need to take a chance.  Your history may complicate this approach so keep that in mind when you make your decision.  There is the theory of kindling which suggests that it may be more difficult each time you cease taking benzo's.

Thank you for your reply. That is my thinking too. I reduced the dose by 50% on the 8th day and 50% again on the 11th day. Will come of completely by day 14. So far no problems and previous symptoms have not returned. However, since Ketazolam has a 100-200 hour half life I have yet to find out. It was the antibody tests I had done, 2 different types, both negative.

I'm glad you know about now half lives work, this gives you an idea of what to expect.  I hope you'll keep us posted on your symptoms, I love it when someone can escape benzo's with little to no pain.

Just so you know, I've heard members say many things bring symptoms back, stress, alcohol and illness but the symptoms usually pass, hopefully after you taper off, you'll feel fine.