Amnitriptyline

[Iw...]

Any have experience with taking the SNRI amnitriptyline? Im working with my neurologist about my vertigo and headaches and he believes it’s vestibular Migraines.

It’s not an SNRI.  It’s an old school tricyclic antidepressant.  I used it very briefly for sleep.  It didn’t help me but it is supposed to be beneficial for “nerve pain”, migraines and with sleep.  As I mentioned, it didn’t help me sleep.

Good luck. I hope you feel better soon.

SG

💜

I am 11 months off and have been taking amitrip for 6 months now.

It's the only med I'm on, and it's very low dose. Mine is for crippling nerve pain (that was completely caused by w/d)

I couldn't use my limbs, and was in a wheelchair chair from it.

Amitriptyline was a game changer for me...now walking again.

I know some people use it for migraines, and actually if I am getting a headache, when I take the pill at night it seems to help with the headache (as a side note for me).

It is a tricyclic AD but does not work as an AD at low doses.

It is not for everyone, as with all meds has a side effect profile.

But for me it has been helpful, since I am otherwise healthy, and not a cardiac patient I don't have alot of sides effects from it.

The key for me was to start VERY small. Like way smaller than the normal starting dose.

I'm sorry for your balance and migraine stuff:(

Feel free to

hi southern belle, thank you for sharing that. I finally got in to see my neurologist and looks like he wants to start Effexor.. great :(

He wasn’t too keen on the Ami. He said the Effexor is very effective in treating vestibular disorders and with less side effects. He was kind and listened to all my concerns..

That being said, I’m not too excited about it since I’ve read a lot of negative stuff conserving Effexor and withdraws. But I can’t live like this. Vestibular Migraine and vestibular neuritis is what he’s treating me for.

Who knows I might end up doing really well with it.

Guess I’ll find out.

I’ve been battling these crippling attacks for a whole year trying to manage holistically and I’m at the point that if a med can be a tool to help in my recovery then so be it. It’s been a tiring battle. 

Wish me luck!

I do wish you luck! I understand exactly where you are. I never wanted to take meds period. I am an other wise COMPLETELY organic girl! But I was absolutely non-functional before the AMI, so here is to hoping that the efexxor will be as helpful for you!