Propranolol withdrawal anybody?

[Ju...]

At 10 months out, I figured I would try to lower my dose of propranolol AKA Inderal ER 160. I'm already going through benzo withdrawal so I'm having weird symptoms and didn't know if it was because of propanolol. Normally I take one in the morning and one at night, and I dropped it to just one a day at night time. Has anybody else gone through this before or have any tips? Thanks.

I'd wait until you've recovered before starting another taper for just the reason you asking about, you don't know what to attribute your symptoms to.

Thanks Pamster, it's just that this morning I was hours behind on my dose and I thought to myself, I only used to take one per day and then I went up to 2. So I need to get back to one. I'm already halfway there.

It's kind of the same with benzos, you go up over time and they start to lose potency. They don't do anything for you. So there's no reason to take them.

But I only did one instead of both, I don't care about the underlining condition, I just want off of pills. I hate pills. I'm addicted to all of them and I don't want to be on any of them anymore. Now I'm having a hard time with all of them. Now I have to get off of primidone also.

My whole life, I've just been eating pills like Skittles, doctors prescribe them for everything. That's probably why I've had so many issues, I wish I had never taken one for anyting. Maybe if I have an infection I will take an antibiotic but that's about it. Or if I have some pain that's pretty severe I will take some Tylenol or whatever else. I'm not against medicine, just taking it every day.

The symptoms are not the biggest problem, it's the psychological addiction. I've taken them off for 20 years. It's like I'm completely vulnerable to the world. I hate this feeling. It's like I'm in middle school again. Stupid pill addiction and doctors. Now I have to get rid of all this OCD behavior and anxiety that comes along with it.

I can understand you want to be medfree fast ;D have a look into my signature - it took me 5 years to achieve that goal. And I had no idea how to taper properly if I had known it, it would have been more than 5 years.

But in the end, your goal is to stay med-free, right?

And thats why I say: Don't hurry. Wait until you feel better from benzo withdrawal, before you start to taper the next medication. You need to be sure what's happening, too many changes at one time mean the you cannot know which withdrawal causes which symptoms and so on.

As I said in the other post.. the time to wait is not a waste, if you use it to work on your psychological problem. Learn new strategies how to cope, make a list of things you always struggle with and develop new strategies how to deal with it. Make life changes, if necessary. Get yourself support and knowledge and THEN open up the next war field.

No one wants to start a second war if you dont know about the skills which let you win the first war. Thats how I made it, maybe you can understand what I mean.  I still profit from what I had to teach myself in withdrawal. Thats why I never had a depression like the ones I had before and under benzos, - I learned in withdrawal how to cope and what to do.

Thank you both. I guess I need to listen to other people's advice more than my own sometimes. Earlier I went cold turkey on the barbiturates and beta-blockers on top of the cold turkey Klonopin, and it sucked. So I went back on them.

And yes, it was like a World War. It was a pretty big war in my world. The beta blocker withdrawal is actually pretty scary because you get these huge blood rushes to your chest and head. Like benzo withdrawal is kind of electrical and anxiety if I can describe it with two words. Whereas the beta blocker withdrawal, it's like throbbing blood rushes to your important organs.

And I've been learning a lot. I learned that I piss people off easily and I need to watch what I say. I'm too quick to snap at people and don't think about anything before I do it. So I'm trying to work on my psychological aspect as well. One day at a time.

Thank you both. I guess I need to listen to other people's advice more than my own sometimes. Earlier I went cold turkey on the barbiturates and beta-blockers on top of the cold turkey Klonopin, and it sucked. So I went back on them.

And yes, it was like a World War. It was a pretty big war in my world. The beta blocker withdrawal is actually pretty scary because you get these huge blood rushes to your chest and head. Like benzo withdrawal is kind of electrical and anxiety if I can describe it with two words. Whereas the beta blocker withdrawal, it's like throbbing blood rushes to your important organs.

And I've been learning a lot. I learned that I piss people off easily and I need to watch what I say. I'm too quick to snap at people and don't think about anything before I do it. So I'm trying to work on my psychological aspect as well. One day at a time.

Sounds like you start to plan how to make the next years, I like that.

Maybe its a good idea to get yourself helpers in the real world, contact to other people is good, although we have to fake a lot at the beginning. Just to go for a walk with my dog and other humans, just small talk, helped me a lot in the worst times. I still had one contact to normality that way. We are still humans, we need to provide things humans need to have. No matter how this might feel FIRST.

I agree with you about the human thing. It really is important and I'm just starting to realize that as weird as it sounds. Over the last five years, it was all hardship and things I can't talk about and seclusion and isolation from society. Not things normal people do.

Things like camping outside for a year and losing everything you own multiple times and purposely locking yourself inside of your condo for a couple years and staying away from people on purpose, well it served its purpose but that also came with consequences.

Because now whenever I go out on the beach and watch all the people playing around and see all the dogs, it's great but it's also scary because I haven't been around people in so long. I actually thought I was going to just lock myself in my house and be a Hermit permanently after this but it's not going to be that way.

A couple months ago I had considered buying a house in the middle of nowhere on purpose so that nobody can bother me. But now that I'm slowly getting better, I like being around people but I still keep my isolation oh, but I like to be around people walking around.

I had so much fun watching a dog go surfing earlier and jumping into waves and wagging his tail. And little kids running full speed and falling over in the sand. Things like that, I thought life was over a while back and now I'm starting to enjoy watching life again.

I got lucky, things could have been permanently bad for me but family stepped in at the last minute I guess because they couldn't stand to watch it happened to me anymore. So with the internet and the beach and quiet time to myself, I will make this happen. A full recovery is in the works.

I agree with you about the human thing. It really is important and I'm just starting to realize that as weird as it sounds. Over the last five years, it was all hardship and things I can't talk about and seclusion and isolation from society. Not things normal people do.

Things like camping outside for a year and losing everything you own multiple times and purposely locking yourself inside of your condo for a couple years and staying away from people on purpose, well it served its purpose but that also came with consequences.

Because now whenever I go out on the beach and watch all the people playing around and see all the dogs, it's great but it's also scary because I haven't been around people in so long. I actually thought I was going to just lock myself in my house and be a Hermit permanently after this but it's not going to be that way.

A couple months ago I had considered buying a house in the middle of nowhere on purpose so that nobody can bother me. But now that I'm slowly getting better, I like being around people but I still keep my isolation oh, but I like to be around people walking around.

I had so much fun watching a dog go surfing earlier and jumping into waves and wagging his tail. And little kids running full speed and falling over in the sand. Things like that, I thought life was over a while back and now I'm starting to enjoy watching life again.

I got lucky, things could have been permanently bad for me but family stepped in at the last minute I guess because they couldn't stand to watch it happened to me anymore. So with the internet and the beach and quiet time to myself, I will make this happen. A full recovery is in the works.

Wow - I would never have thought that you can see so many possibilities, justin time. And you even have a family to support you, and a therapist, - but the best, it seems as you already know what you enjoy and it seems not too complicated to get more of this into your life.

Humans are weird, but mostly friendly. You will make new contacts and connect again. No doubt.

Yes, humans are actually pretty good people for the most part. There's just a few that ruin it for everybody.

When I was taking Klonopin, everything was really negative so I thought everybody sucked other than a couple people. But it's the other way around, there's only a couple of people that ruin everything. Everybody else is okay.

Yes, humans are actually pretty good people for the most part. There's just a few that ruin it for everybody.

When I was taking Klonopin, everything was really negative so I thought everybody sucked other than a couple people. But it's the other way around, there's only a couple of people that ruin everything. Everybody else is okay.

I made the experience that when I was able to fully love myself, the way I acted or I was, let the good people come into my life. But I had to start with loving myself when I was miserable and not the best version. Seems to me the best relationship I will ever get, the one with me.

I know the feeling, there's actually somebody that's been trying to talk to me throughout this whole process and I've been pushing them away because I feel that I'm better all by myself. I've always been really independent. I don't know if it's going to change or not.

I know the feeling, there's actually somebody that's been trying to talk to me throughout this whole process and I've been pushing them away because I feel that I'm better all by myself. I've always been really independent. I don't know if it's going to change or not.

The process itself, withdrawal, will show you what you should do. And then you might discover some new parts of your personality. Sometimes we think "I am like ...." but it needs other people to show us what we are, and what we can be ..

That's true, I like your mentality. Just let whatever happens happen and don't fight life. Just make the best out of it. I can relate, that's what I should be doing.

That's true, I like your mentality. Just let whatever happens happen and don't fight life. Just make the best out of it. I can relate, that's what I should be doing.

I learned I can have this life even when my real life sucks. Its about the moments in which I can accept and be active, like spending time with my dog no matter how bad I feel physically, or to buy myself ice cream in the middle of a depression. First it felt like "wrong", after a while the body learned that both is possible at the same time, the good and the bad feelings. hard to describe, but it saved my life. it still does.

Just living in the now. That's what I was doing for a long time, especially right after I lost my dog. Lots of people ask me how I survived what I did, and I would tell them by doing what I wanted everyday and not paying attention to anything in the world. In fact, it was my only choice.

And now, years later, I'm almost right back to where I was, living in the present. Only this time, without the risk of running into financial problems because of it. And instead of ice cream, I've been eating lots of cookies, but it's all the same because it makes us happy.

Just living in the now. That's what I was doing for a long time, especially right after I lost my dog. Lots of people ask me how I survived what I did, and I would tell them by doing what I wanted everyday and not paying attention to anything in the world. In fact, it was my only choice.

And now, years later, I'm almost right back to where I was, living in the present. Only this time, without the risk of running into financial problems because of it. And instead of ice cream, I've been eating lots of cookies, but it's all the same because it makes us happy.

Cookies and ice cream  :smitten:

I think beef jerky would be really good right now. Some teriyaki beef jerky and corn bread with butter. And some avocado and salsa dip. Maybe some vanilla frozen yogurt on mint chocolate graham crackers. And a big glass of milk.