Is it safe to take Neurontin off and on or can that cause kindling?

[So...]

I had some anxiety and I think I have been on short doses of Neurontin for three times in my life.  Maybe 3 weeks or a month each time, mostly low dose except I believe I had taken 300mg of Neurontin for a month one time.  Is it safe to take a small amount here and there again?  I don't want to kindle my brain.

My understanding of the theory of kindling is repeated cessation of benzo's, as in taking them for a time then stopping them, repeatedly.  Each time this happens it adds to the possibility of worse symptoms with each successive cessation.  I've seen many members talk about this, that the first time they quit benzo's it was no big deal, same with the second but then things can get ugly after that, but this is anecdotal. 

I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about Neurontin contributing to this.

Neurontin/gabapentin work on the same receptors, and many believe it has led to kindling. The reports are numerous within gabapentin support groups. I don’t think anyone can say for sure, but the assertion is certainly out there.

This would be something you should discuss with your medical practitioner after using the search function on the Other Medications board to see if other members considered it to be worth the risk.

Neurontin/gabapentin work on the same receptors, and many believe it has led to kindling. The reports are numerous within gabapentin support groups. I don’t think anyone can say for sure, but the assertion is certainly out there.

They actually don't work on the same receptors as benzos.

I take it as needed for anxiety from 150-300mg and he done so since I began my taper.

I do not take it more than once per week and I have not personally experienced any issues.

Your milage may vary though.

It works on gaba-B receptors while benzos work on gaba-A.

I take it as needed for anxiety from 150-300mg and he done so since I began my taper.

I do not take it more than once per week and I have not personally experienced any issues.

Your milage may vary though.

It works on gaba-B receptors while benzos work on gaba-A.

No, they don't bind to and work on Gaba-B receptors.

They actually don't work on the same receptors as benzos.

Citation please, I'd like to know.

Ok, this is only one citation of a paper out of many. It says that it gabapentin doesn't bind with the receptors but increases the brain concentration of GABA. But does it really matter?

https://anesthesiology.pubs.asahq.org/article.aspx?articleid=1931050

"Gabapentin is structurally related to the major inhibitory transmitter, γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA), as depicted in figure 1A. It is derived by addition of a cyclohexyl group to the carbon backbone of GABA and was originally designed as a GABA-mimetic compound that could readily cross the blood–brain barrier.16 However, gabapentin does not bind to or directly modulate the function of ionotropic GABAAreceptors or metabotropic GABABreceptors.17,18 In humans, gabapentin causes a dose-dependent increase in the brain concentration of GABA that correlates with improved seizure control, "

As for the original question. I'm on other groups about gabapentin withdrawal and there seems to be people who can take it once in awhile and not have a problem and others who develop tolerance to it over time, thus needing it more to stave off wd. But if you are taking it 3months at a time. It seems like, yes, you can become kindled. Believe me when I tell you you do not want to experience the withdrawals of this medication ESPECIALLY if you are kindled. It is horrific, possibly worse, the same or a second to benzo withdrawals.

I actually did ok on GPN in relation to a “taper aid”, -say 300mg twice a month for making it to Drs/shopping/kids critical stuff..

I also took it for a few years post accident at around 1800-2400mg/d for physical nerve damage, but found I needed it less and less for various reasons.. Now its a pretty high dose but only a few times a year for intermittent nerve pain.. No real problems.. (go figure..!!??)

Lyrica on the other hand..  -Bad for me in every way..!!

Not sure I have a point.. -Just glad to have survived and be nearly med free..

:)