1 Year Out

[Ho...]

.... i’m now a year out cold turkey and have constant head pressure, head pain, chest pain and burning, stomach burning, shaking and tremors. Is it normal to have constant symptoms that just don’t let up at all at this stage? With thanks Hope.

Hi Hope180,

I'm so sorry to hear how much you're still suffering, it's so unfair that you only took Ativan for 4 months and you're still in this much pain.  Are there any symptoms which have left you?  Will you take a look at chapter 3 and let me know?  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

I'm not trying to minimize your pain and I know your desperation, my intent is that together we can find areas where you've improved to give you hope that the symptoms you're feeling now will leave as well. 

Pamster

Pamster, I think I saw somewhere that you had severe shaking which I also have S well as inner trembling, when did this get better for you?

I was so hoping we could find a way to give you some hope.  I did have the inner trembling, it was my last symptom to leave. 

Can you describe your burning, is it all over your body or just your extremities?

My burning is internal, in my chest, throat and stomach and it is so debilitating and painful. I get cutting slicing pain and also find my breathing is impeded and hurts. It’s very scary. I am so hoping that I won’t have to suffer this long term, i’m a mum of 3 teenage kids and I so want to get my life back. I’m worried that I’m going to end up protracted.

I've not read too many posts about burning inside, it sounds like it's coupled with what some members call air hunger.  I didn't call it that, I just said I felt like I had an elephant sitting on my chest, I couldn't draw a deep breath and that made me want to all that much more. 

I have to believe your brain will heal and your CNS will heal because this is what your body knows how to do.  As long as we don't impede the healing by taking more benzo's, z-drugs or drink alcohol, you're healing even as you're hurting.  And remember fear is one of our worst symptoms, don't give it power, you'll just feel worse. 

Improvement will come.  I'll be 10 months out in a few days and I had a great period of 2 to 3 weeks.  Unfortunately, I've been hit with another wave and it just sucks.  Morning anxiety, depression, and overall weakness to name a few.  I know it's frustrating now that you might not be having any periods of feeling better but it will occur.  My trouble now is that I've felt better and I feel like I've taken two steps back.  Pam, is this normal to have this happen?

Hi,

I used to have all those symptoms. Now it is mostly gone. I really thought my life was over.

One by one it disappeared. Same will happen to you.

Don't dwell on the lie that your mind is telling you. They are not real.

Hope, yes, this is all very normal. I am so sorry you are struggling, but I CAN tell you that you will heal from this. For some people, it just takes time. It took me several years to be functional again.

I SO agree with 1234! Your mind IS telling you Benzo Lies1 And those are really hufe lies that tell you you will never be yourself again. You may start to picture yourself being sent to a psych hospital or worse. And that wont happen. Your brain will heal from this. You DONT have some dreadful, fatal disease., You are NOT insane! You are in benzo wd. And that can be a very awful place to be but it wont kill you.

Reach out for help. Ask questions. You will get through this.

east

Trying2BHopeful,

I am almost 10 months out after 10 years on K and felt good for a couple of weeks only to have fallen back in some sort of anxiety/depressed hole where my mind is not my friend.  Have you experienced this in your year?  If not I hope and pray for healing for you all in one fell swoop.

Hi Tex,

It’s only my 5th month out and I was such a very short term user, it’s really confusing. I have mild anxiety left from that awful benzo-anxiety I used to suffer during acute. I still have physical symptoms which are my biggest issue right now like myclonic twitching and tinnitus, so hopefully by year one, I’ll be better. I hope you get through the wave you are having now, having a few good weeks is already indication of your healing. Hang in there, it will pass. It’s a bumpy ride this journey; but let’s be hopeful we will heal like the ones before us.

• 3 weeks later...
Im very bad right now at twenty months but I had a bunch of setbacks. head pressure ,inner trembling, my chest symtoms have been devastating/have driven me to the edge of insanity.

Just saying hello, Accused. I have a soft spot in my heart for you. I can somehow FEEL your pain. I have felt that too, believe me.

Life isnt fair. I got dealt a bad hand. No doubt in my mind about that. The result was way too many years on benzos and alcohol.

Let me know how you are doing, please.

Annie

• 2 months later...

My burning is internal, in my chest, throat and stomach and it is so debilitating and painful. I get cutting slicing pain and also find my breathing is impeded and hurts. It’s very scary. I am so hoping that I won’t have to suffer this long term, i’m a mum of 3 teenage kids and I so want to get my life back. I’m worried that I’m going to end up protracted.

I have burning in my stomach, throat and nose !