How Does One Get Off Mirtazapine? It is as hard as benzos?

[DJ...]

Hello. I managed to get off benzos almost 4 weeks ago. I was a medium-term, low-dose user of benzos since late October 2019. I was sleeping ok as I weaned off the benzos over 10 weeks with only a few bad nights here and there. All this time, I held my dose of Mirtazapine between 3.75 and 7.5mg. I wanted off of the Mirtazapine so I kept my dose at 3.75 for a week and then jumped. A couple of days later, I had wicked insomnia and anxiety at bedtime and couldn't sleep more than 3-4 hours. Last night, I got frustrated around midnight and took a 11.25mg dose to knock me out. It worked....

So now what? How do I get off this stuff? It almost feels as difficult, if not more, to wean off than benzos. Does anyone else feel that way?

Hi Pamster,

Too soon? I don't know. I thought I was doing really well coming off the diazepam. I'm having a hard time believing the mirtazapine was even doing anything at 3.75 and 7.5mg. But all of a sudden when I jumped - boom - insomnia!

You're probably right, you know your body and what you were feeling better than anyone, I'm just amazed you were doing so well after getting off Valium, most are still in the acute stage at four weeks.

Insomnia is such a common symptoms of drug withdrawal, I wonder if you could find other ways of dealing with it, not drug related?  We have many on the forum who have offered suggestions and coping skills.

Well, the valium made getting off benzos easy. I tried to taper Klonapin and that was a disaster, leaving me with extreme agitation, burning skin, and wicked terror. Switching to valium and tapering over 10 weeks was a breeze and my symptoms actually got better the lower the dose got. That's why I'm surprised that Mirtazapine has such a strong hold on me for sleeping.

Well, the valium made getting off benzos easy. I tried to taper Klonapin and that was a disaster, leaving me with extreme agitation, burning skin, and wicked terror. Switching to valium and tapering over 10 weeks was a breeze and my symptoms actually got better the lower the dose got. That's why I'm surprised that Mirtazapine has such a strong hold on me for sleeping.

I hate that you're suffering but I'm happy to hear about the Valium.  I see some who can't make the crossover work but to hear your symptoms got better the lower you got in dose is wonderful.  I see too many suffer as they get lower so this is good to see.  :)

My wife was put on 45mg at an inpatient detox place for benzo withdrawal. The psychiatrist said it was for major depression and GAD but i believe it was all benzo withdrawal symptoms since she never had MDD or GAD before. How can you argue with a psychiatrist.... impossible.

Has anyone come off 45mg Remeron successfully after benzo withdrawal? If so what was your experience? My wife won't listen to me about meds even though i do a ton of research. She will only listen to her dr which I fear will lead to more meds and issues in the long term.