April, 2020: "Remimazolam: First Approval"

[La...]

"Remimazolam: First Approval"

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32274703

Abstract

Remimazolam (Anerem® in Japan; ByFavo™ in the USA; Aptimyda™ in the EU) is an ultra-short-acting intravenous (IV) benzodiazepine sedative/anesthetic being developed by PAION AG in conjunction with a number of commercial partners for use in anesthesia and procedural sedation. Remimazolam was approved on 23 January 2020 in Japan for use in general anesthesia in adult patients. Remimazolam is also undergoing regulatory assessment in South Korea for this indication and for use in procedural sedation in the USA, the EU and China. This article summarises the major milestones in the development of remimazolam for this first approval for the induction and maintenance of general anaesthesia, and its potential upcoming approvals in general anaesthesia and procedural sedation.

The abstract is referring only to its use for anesthesia and sedation. There's no reference to its use for any other purpose, so tapering wouldn't come into the picture.

What's wrong with Propofol??? I had no problems with it and no withdrawal (which I'd feel because I still have anxiety). This drug I would never trust no matter what any doctors told me.

Hi Terry,

I don't think they're looking for other options because Propofol is bad. That's not really how it works. They're always looking for more options. This benzo is obviously different in some way(s) from the other benzos that are currently available.