Preexisting digestive issues that became worse?

[ro...]

Hi everyone, i just wanted to know of anyone who had any type of digestive issue pre benzo use (I had IBS that got worse after benzo as well as GERD that became worse and transformed into LPR) that got worse after benzo use (either tolerance or withdrawal) Thanks in advance!

Hi east! Yeah, i cold turkeyed of a nightly use of 3mg of estazolam since February (forced by preescriber and against my will) and haven't reinstated again since. I however, still use mirtazapine nightly.

Professor Ashton mentions this in her manual.  https://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzcha03.htm

Gastrointestinal symptoms. Gastrointestinal symptoms may be prolonged after withdrawal, usually in people who have a previous history of digestive troubles. Such people may develop apparent intolerance to certain foods, although reliable tests for true food allergy (e.g. antibodies against specific food constituents) are nearly always negative. Nevertheless many sufferers feel that they have damage to the immune system or have developed intestinal candidiasis. There is at present no clear scientific evidence on these topics, though as mentioned before, benzodiazepine receptors are present in the gut and benzodiazepine use or withdrawal may affect immune responses. There is some evidence that chronic hyperventilation provokes the release of histamine (a substance released in allergic reactions) and that the incidence of food-intolerance and "pseudo-allergic" reactions is high in chronic hyperventilators. Advice on diet, breathing and candida infections is given in books by Shirley Trickett quoted at the end of this chapter. It is usually inadvisable to stick to a strict exclusion diet; with a normal balanced diet and sensible general health measures, including regular exercise, gastrointestinal symptoms due to withdrawal gradually abate.

Yes, I have had IBS since I was a teenager. It was 100 times worse during acute. But pretty much back to normal now. I'm 11 months off.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, i just wanted to know of anyone who had any type of digestive issue pre benzo use (I had IBS that got worse after benzo as well as GERD that became worse and transformed into LPR) that got worse after benzo use (either tolerance or withdrawal) Thanks in advance!

My gerd I had from 10 to 25 turned into LPR after coming off valium 7 years ago.

At 28 I was so messed up from the LPR and PAWS I went back on clonazepam 3mg until 31. Am now 32 and down to 1 mg and my LPR is going insane.

Are you off the benzos? Has your LPR gotten better?

To me the LPR is worse then benzo withdrawal.