Here's help for Panic attacks if a breathing technique doesn't work

[We...]

Hi, BB's.

Panic attacks were the first symptom I experienced during the taper of Klonopin. Breathing techniques, for me, always only made the panic worse, although, I know it helps a lot of people, here is an alternative: Keep bottles of water readily available. At onset of an attack, start drinking the water and reading. It doesn't matter what you read and you can drink something other than water, of course, but I found that cold or room temp liquid is best. My guess is that these 2 things force your body to focus (or else you'd choke) and your mind to have something to try to focus on, whether it's the list of ingredients on a cereal box, a magazine, or a book, whatever. Hope this helps someone.

Add to the tool box any sensory changes. I'll run my hands under warm water, open the patio door for cool air, inhale an aromatherapy scent, get in the shower. things that distract and "ground you".

Hope this helps:)

Whatever works for you is just fine. Deep breathing did help me. But I also know it wont help everyone. My guess is that by drinking the water you are getting your mind OFF those feelings of impending doom. Distraction, at its finest. Thank you for posting about this!

east

• 2 months later...

Add to the tool box any sensory changes. I'll run my hands under warm water, open the patio door for cool air, inhale an aromatherapy scent, get in the shower. things that distract and "ground you".

Hope this helps:)

I do all of these things too. My mom once taught me (she also had panic attacks) to switch from the coldest water to hot water on the sink and alternate it. It's really saved me sometimes  :)