Elavil

[Be...]

Hope you are all fine.I have been put on elavil(Amitriptyline) and tegretol for depression and insomnia. Any one with some suggestions or have tried to use them.I am to use them for a week or so for mood stability. Any positive suggestions are welcome.

I have also bought chamomile tea ,cacao and st john's wort and will try them as natural solutions.Thank you.

There are a few posts about Elavil but not many responses, but I did find this one in case no one replies to you.  http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=31300.0

I'd do a search of St Johns Wort just in case there are other members who've tried it.  It's important to do your homework when it comes to adding anything to our already overly sensitized central nervous system. 

I can't really speak about tegretol because I have never taken it.

I have been taking a very low dose amitriptyline since month 5 of withdrawl.(I'm 11 months off now)

Are you already off benzos?

For me, I take 10mg amitrip for the crippling nerve pain and it was actually a game changer for me. But I do not take it for depression as it does not work that way at 10mg at all. And I'm not sure how it would be with combined with another drug?  Can your Dr. Let you start them 1 at a time instead of together? Because if you get bad side effects you will not know which one is causing it.

Also, if they start you at too high dosage of amitrip to start with it will be very sedating and higher doses come with more side effects of course.  10mg is the start....I actually started at 2.5mg for sensitivity.

Best of luck! And do ask your doc about starting 2 new meds separately instead of same time :)

Oh and I would not use at St. John's wart while taking antidepressants!

It raises risk of serotonin syndrome, I've had it before, it's NOT nice!

Southern I really consult doctors but I always decide for myself. Elavil has weird side effects the next day.I took it sometime when I got a nervous breakdown once..

I have St John Wort but have not used it yet.

About tegretol I took it once and gave up on it.

I am 1 month two weeks off.

It looks like your best bet is chamomile tea, I've seen members use two bags per cup and report good things.  What I like to think about is how every cell in your body knows what do to keep you alive and well so we should just get out of the way and let our body do what it needs to do.  Keep is simple and let time take care of this.