Went to rehab for benzos: SUCCESS!

[No...]

Hi everyone,

I've been a member of this forum for awhile and have been off benzos since October of 2019. I was told by my old psych that she wouldn't have any trouble getting me off Klonopin. I was having some sort of terrible emotional reaction to it, probably since I was having mini withdrawals between the FOUR doses I took daily. I told my doc in Dec. 2018 that something wasn't right and I wanted off. Long story short, she ignored me and I checked myself into a mental health facility. The doc there said she could get me off quickly and I felt hope for the first time in a long time. She actually tried to get me off, but said my body likes benzos. I subsequently checked myself into that same hospital two more times, trying to find a way to discontinue use. I ended up finally getting in touch with a local rehab facility and asked them, actually begged, to get me off Klonopin, even though I wasn't addicted. I had a physical dependence, but never craved them. In fact, I was angry with every dose. They said no problem, come on! I was hanging on to my last shred of hope. I checked in and was scared, but they very quickly made me feel confident they would make it work. I was off benzos in eight days and had absolutely no pronounced withdrawal symptoms! I would recommend this to anyone. I had gotten so afraid of what the withdrawals would be like that I completely psyched myself out. I knew, deep in my gut, that I would not be alive for much longer on benzos. I didn't want to kill myself, but I couldn't live that way anymore. Before rehab, I actually took a handful of 200 mg Seroquel and had to go to the ER for monitoring. I NEVER had depression until benzos entered my life. As I said before, I didn't want to die, but I couldn't sustain my life, taking care of my three children with those pills. At first, I had a side effect that lasted until about January 2020, which was the inability to string sentences together. I would start a train of thought and then I would lose it. Another thing that happened was random words would pop into my head that made no sense and I would say the word, like "suitcase" or "pickup truck", out loud with no context. It was definitely benzo brain. I started Cymbalta and Seroquel and still take them both. I have been able to go down from 375 mg Seroquel daily to 150 mg and I'm still reducing my dosage. I hate benzos and I will NEVER take another in my life. In fact, I have told my story to just about anyone who would listen and have discouraged some of my friends from taking the Xanax they are carelessly prescribed by their doctor. I've also encouraged people to not joke about benzo use, because it's not a joke. Anyway, if you can make it to rehab and get off benzos and stay 28 days so you're monitored 24/7, DO IT. Don't be scared. I had to leave early for a family emergency or I would have stayed. Gabapentin helped me a lot with anxiety during the whole process, as did Vistaril and Zyprexa. No one was more terrified of the withdrawals than I was. Good luck and I wish you the best, benzo free life you can have!

Hi NoMoreNavalGazing,

Congratulations on your Success Story!  Thanks for coming back to share your story - I imagine you know how it is important for others to find encouragement this way.

I'm really glad rehab worked out well for you - many people have a bad experience and are tapered off benzos far too rapidly - so it's not a route we recommend at all.  But again, I'm glad you were the rare exception.

Wishing you much joy in your healing,

Brighterday  :)

This is wonderful news NoMoreNavalGazing!

You're the only person in my years here who had a positive experience at a rehab and I'm thrilled for you, congratulations on getting your life back, I'm very happy for you.

Pamster

[0c...]

Congratulations, and welcome to a drug-free world.  I'm so glad it worked for you.

I'll have to mark this post as I think it's the only time that I can recall a positive detox experience being shared. 

Happy for your escape! We all know what it means to reclaim life without the horror from benzo!

Are you still on any meds now?

OP: I’m genuinely happy you had a good experience and are free.

ANYONE READING THIS: Be INTENSELY wary of this advice. Rehabs are notoriously dangerous for us. I myself was taken off 3mg Klonopin in a week in an inpatient setting and it gave me a manic episode. BE VERY CAREFUL and balance this post with other accounts.

You are extremely lucky and a rare case indeed. Glad you avoided all the possible suffering. Please continue to be well and do great things with this gift you've been given!!

At first, I had a side effect that lasted until about January 2020, which was the inability to string sentences together. I would start a train of thought and then I would lose it. Another thing that happened was random words would pop into my head that made no sense and I would say the word, like "suitcase" or "pickup truck", out loud with no context.

This lasted over a year?  :'( This is my 2nd worst symptoms after panic/anxiety.

[32...]

Thank you so much for this post!  I can so relate to the part about being psyched out!!  So good to hear from those who have made it to the other side!!

Best,

Kate  :smitten: