Can disrupted sleep come and go?

[tr...]

So I went from horrendously disrupted sleep, to insomnia, to 4-5 hrs, to deep long sleep. Wow...

the past two nights I'm back to a milder version of disrupted sleep. Is this normal in the recovery process? ( I'm thinking anything is possible in this journey...).

I've had some recent family bad news which was upsetting, so I'm assuming the stress of that may be disrupting things. I just hate it because bad dreams are back again a bit, repetitive waking..ugh. I guess I felt like I was having good progress in an area only to have it go backwards a bit.

Just looking for feedback. Thanks.

On the last leg of second taper. Writing at 1:00AM...does that answer the question?  ;)

In both tapers I've had intermittent episodes of insomnia. Sometimes up all night, others just very short sleep periods of 4 hours then awake. Tends to last around 4-5 days then stops again. May be isolated or bundled with other symptoms. After the first taper, went back to normal sleep without help. Hoping for the same after this one.

Friend tapering one SSRI to switch to another. Has the same issues.  Says that they will take something like an anti-histamine to break the trend after a couple of days since that alone increases symptoms.

Hope that helps. Hang in there.

Hohhot: Thanks. I've already jumped (I'm in month 2 free..) and sleep was returning! Past two nights surprised me I guess. I'm able to fall asleep now without taking anything except for a low dose melatonin most nights.

Fingers crossed for tonight:)

I'm at eight months off. Sleep slowly returned. Not great but okay. The main improvement was in falling to sleep. Staying asleep has remained a challenge.

Last month (seven months off) I regressed and was sleeping (or rather not sleeping) as I had during taper. Just a couple to four hours and waking up every hour.

The last couple of nights have been decent.

So, I would say "yes." Sleep improves bit by bit after jumping but it would not be unusual to have some periods of time where sleep goes wonky and then levels out again.

Hoping you have many good sleep nights.

Yes, that's how sleep returns for most.  I could go for weeks with decent sleep, only to be plunged back into 1-3 hour nights that sometimes lasted for weeks.

For months I was on a pattern of some sleep one night, then none the next night. 

Sleep returns like the stock market.  UP and DOWN.  Expect the unexpected.

Sleep will even out over time. However, you can still get hit by short spells (a few days to a few weeks) of insomnia/poor sleep at 18 months off, 2 years off or even longer?