Help needed. 5mg Valium taper.

[Da...]

Recommendation on 5mg Valium taper.

Not sure about this stuff but I have tried to go from 5mg to 2mg for a month and started to feel nausea and slight body aches.

What is the recommended method please.🙂

I am NO taper expert, as I went CT off it all. But we have many members who can help you with this. There seems to be no way of avoiding ALL withdrawal symptoms. Our goal is to minimize them as much as possible, plus learn how to cope with those symptoms.

Someone will chime in here and give you ideas, but keep reading, as you will learn something new every day.

east

A doctor prescribed me Sertraline and told me to stop Valium and start Sertraline. I'm a bit apprehensive as I know nothing about antidepressant. Would anyone recommend Sertraline?

Im also currently participating in CBD therapy and also Hypnotherapy to help with my mild anxiety that I suffer with.

Any help would be appreciated😬

It can be tricky to start an A/D while going through benzo withdrawal, our central nervous system is very sensitized during this process, so we don't always react the way we expect to.  Professor Ashton mentions in her work that an antidepressant on board while going through this can be beneficial, but I'd tread carefully and do your homework before taking it.  Perhaps you could do a search on the Other Medications board to see what others have to say about it

Your reduction from 5 mgs to 2 mgs seems a bit too aggressive especially if your body is letting you know through body aches and nausea.  As eastcoast62 said, there is no escaping symptoms, but it's up to you to gauge what you feels right.

We typically suggest only reducing your dose by about 5-10% every week or two, but this should depend on your symptoms.  The purpose of tapering is to minimize symptoms to keep functional in our lives, but it's important to know that after you're completely off the drug, there will still be healing to do.  Your brain is doing a lot of repair work as you taper and it will continue this task when the drug if finally eliminated. 

Perhaps you could slow your taper down a bit, what do you think?

Thank you.

Yes. I'm talking to my GP this morning and going to follow a new taper method of possibly 1 mg drops every 2-4 weeks.😬

Hi Dazminson :hug:

...a new taper method of possibly 1 mg drops every 2-4 weeks

Or a method that can reduce a small amount of benzo each day instead of a larger reduction every 2-4 weeks. It exists and is known here in BB as DLMT (Daily Liquid Micro Taper). Please know that it's also possible to do a Daily Micro Taper with dry cuts.

Thanks to share with us the result of the discussion with your GP.

Wish you all the best.