Propranolol?

[b9...]

[b9...]

I went to a neurologist for an examination of the physical symptoms of PAWS. He said that i had benign fasciculation syndrome and chronic migraine. These are the physical symptoms of my PAWS. Although I can't cure the PAWS, I can treat the symptoms. He said that I could go on amitryptaline, propranolol or topirimate. I'm already on venlafaxine so I'm going to avoid the amitryptaline and I don't want to use topirimate so that leaves the Propranolol.

Has anyone here been prescribed Propranolol during their PAWS recovery? If so, what has been your experience? I know Dr. Ashton has talked about beta blockers in the manual but I am looking for people's personal experiences

• 4 weeks later...
Hello, yes, lots of people get Propranolol, I got it too. It helps with the physical symptoms of anxiety and tachycardia. However I have hair loss and I think Propranolol has a hand in it, but not everyone has it. Plus Propranolol can cause depression as well in a long term. But yes, it helps.

Of the medications your doctor recommended I think propranolol is the least worrisome, but it will still require a taper if taken regularly long term.

I have a prescription for propranolol 20mg to be taken as needed 2xday.  I took it a fair amount earlier in my withdrawal for the physical symptoms of anxiety - it was really helpful for the cortisol/adrenaline surges and palpitations I was experiencing.  I'm very glad I had it.  But as kitsune points out if you take it regularly you're likely to be faced with another taper.  I was determined to avoid that so I was judicious about taking it only when I needed it and not prophylactically.

Hope this helps,

Brighterday