Insomnia

[71...]

[71...]
Can we get Fatal insomnia from many CT and rapid tapers, IM kindled 9 times, and i cant sleep at all on my own, I have that fake sleep on antipsychotics, enough that IM not going crazy, but it doesnt feel like sleep😔 still on 2.75mg of Ativan.

Benzos act on GABA and the thalamus that regulate sleep. So do antibiotics. Too much kindling or usage could possibly trigger sporadic FFI for susceptible people like it did for this man:

It's not just lack of sleep though. Early symptoms of FFI include increasing difficulty falling asleep and maintaining sleep, as well as cognitive decline, ataxia, and psychiatric symptoms. Sympathetic hyperactivity (eg, hypertension, tachycardia, hyperthermia, sweating) may occur later. Also weight loss and constipation.

I have all of these symptoms and suffer everyday.

[79...]
I've seen zero evidence for benzo use or withdrawal causing Fatal Insomnia (which is a prion disease and quite rare).

Fatal familial insomnia is a genetic illness which is aptly named for it effecting only a few families in the world. Chronic insomnia, which is something I've dealt with and fully understand the severity of, will not kill you, but it can definitely shake you up for awhile. There is nothing enjoyable about it, and it is extremely difficult to cope with. I thought my sleep would never return for a long time, but it did, and sooner than I had hoped. Sleep will return, of that I can promise you, akul016.

Over the years I have read countless posts from people thinking that they had fatal insomnia. I can understand their concerns because sudden severe insomnia can be very alarming and an unrested mind can more easily jump to conclusions. The condition is so rare it would be surprising if a true sufferer will ever actually find their way to this forum. There are a lot of degrees of misery between severe insomnia and actually dying from lack of sleep.

If you check out some of  my very old posts from over 3 years ago, I thought I had fatal insomnia.  What else could explain the sudden, severe insomnia...oh wait, it was Benzo WD and that fit the bill perfectly.  But at that time, my Benzo ravaged brain believed I had every disease in the book.

As others already said, there are 2 types of SFI and both are extremely rare.  The hereditary kind and the sporadic kind.  You don't have that.  Nothing can cause SFI.  You have a better chance of being struck by lightning underground on a sunny day.  You'll be fine.

SRy for my english , but i know i a lot of people who though that thay had FFI  , and none of them really had it.  you have better chance of  of getting hit by meteorite. 

[71...]

Benzos act on GABA and the thalamus that regulate sleep. So do antibiotics. Too much kindling or usage could possibly trigger sporadic FFI for susceptible people like it did for this man:

It's not just lack of sleep though. Early symptoms of FFI include increasing difficulty falling asleep and maintaining sleep, as well as cognitive decline, ataxia, and psychiatric symptoms. Sympathetic hyperactivity (eg, hypertension, tachycardia, hyperthermia, sweating) may occur later. Also weight loss and constipation.

He did a suicide he didn’t die because of fatal insomnia he just called it fatal insomnia.

That is completely false and baseless...too much kindling, Benzo or other Rx drug use cannot trigger Sporadic Fatal Insomnia.  Please Stop trying to scare people with unfounded claims.

That is completely false and baseless...too much kindling, Benzo or other Rx drug use cannot trigger Sporadic Fatal Insomnia.  Please Stop trying to scare people with unfounded claims.

This. FFI is genetic, hence named for that it effects only a few families in the world. Unless you are descended from one of these families, you do not have it.

"In 1998 40 families are known to carry the gene for FFI globally: 8 German, 5 Italian, 4 American, 2 French, 2 Australian, 2 British, 1 Japanese, and 1 Austrian.[18] In the Basque Country, Spain, 16 family cases of the 178N mutation were seen between 1993 and 2005 related to 2 families with a common ancestor in the 18th century.[19] In 2011, another family was added to the list when researchers found the first man in the Netherlands with FFI. While he had lived in the Netherlands for 19 years, he was of Egyptian descent.[20] Other prion diseases are similar to FFI and could be related, but are missing the D178N gene mutation.[9]

As of 2016, 24 cases of sporadic fatal insomnia have been diagnosed.[1] Unlike in FFI, sFI sufferers do not have the D178N mutation in the PRNP-prion gene; they all have a different mutation in the same gene causing methionine homozygosity at codon 129.[21][22]"

Source taken from https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_insomnia.

All people afflicted with FFI share a common ancestor, likely in Southern Europe as it appears the 178N mutation causing FFI is more present in Basque Country than anywhere in the world. If you live in the United States, it is more likely that you will be hit by a meteorite while on a Mars expedition than to have FFI, and almost as unlikely that you have Basque blood.

• 2 weeks later...
[71...]

Thanks Theway. ;)