Do fall a sleep easy but after waking up in the night can't fall asleep again h

[om...]

I fall a sleep easy 5 -10  minutes  but when I wake up middle  of the night 2.00 PM can not fall asleep again

I am tapering down 0.5 clonazepam which was decided in four doses 7.00am  17.30pm  22.00 pm

Got the 22.00 devided  to the other doses and stopped the22.00

This helped me  fall asleep again for 3 days only now back to same problem

Any suggestions what I can do to improve this and fall asleep again after waking up at 2  AM

Unfortunately there isn't much you can do short of reaching for another Rx drug or an OTC remedy; however, I would suggest that, but you do what you think is best for you.  Until you are completely off, your sleep will suck and then it will suck for some time, but will slowly improve.  I wish I had better news, but that's the reality.  Sleep comes back in fits and starts. You might do well for awhile only to go back to sleeping poorly for weeks.

It all evens out over time.  I still wake at night between 1:00 and 3:00 am.  I did last night at 1:30 and it took me about an hour to get back to sleep.  Most nights it's a lot faster.  I say that because I am going on 4 years off.  I took Benzos for some sleep issues to begin with, so I don't expect my sleep to be perfect.  I usually get 6-8 hours per night.

Early on in my recovery and healing I would punch the pillow, toss and turn and basically freak out, ensuring I would get very little if any additional sleep.  Just lay in bed and rest your body.  Even if you don't fall back to sleep, your body needs rest.  Of course you can get up to use the loo or get something to eat.  I always qualify that as some think I am suggesting zero getting out of bed?

The lower you go on your taper, the less it will help for most people.  I would accept the fact that your sleep might be poor for some time as you near the end of your taper and get off.  Lack of sleep sucks, but it won't kill you.  Hang in there.

Hi ometon,

Sleep issues like this are a common withdrawal symptom.  I've dealt with the same issue you describe - falling asleep easily but waking in the wee hours unable to fall back asleep for a couple of hours.  It helps to just try to accept it and so I just try to use that time to read.  It has gotten a lot better though - my sleep has improved a lot and I mostly don't wake in the middle of the night anymore.

Things I along with many other people find helpful:

Getting exercise during the day,

Yoga

Avoiding caffeine and alcohol,

Listening to calming music or using a white noise machine,

Drinking chamomile tea

A very warm bath with Epsom salts and the essential oil your choice (lavender is considered calming) before bed is a way your body can absorb magnesium without the digestive effects and magnesium is thought to help with sleep. 

Here's what The Ashton Manual says about it:

Insomnia, nightmares, sleep disturbance. The sleep engendered by benzodiazepines, though it may seem refreshing at first, is not a normal sleep. Benzodiazepines inhibit both dreaming sleep (rapid eye movement sleep, REMS) and deep sleep (slow wave sleep, SWS). The extra sleep time that benzodiazepines provide is spent mainly in light sleep, termed Stage 2 sleep. REM and SWS are the two most important stages of sleep and are essential to health. Sleep deprivation studies show that any deficit is quickly made up by a rebound to above normal levels as soon as circumstances permit.

In regular benzodiazepine users REMS and SWS tend to return to pre-drug levels (because of tolerance) but the initial deficit remains. On withdrawal, even after years of benzodiazepine use, there is a marked rebound increase in REMS which also becomes more intense. As a result, dreams become more vivid, nightmares may occur and cause frequent awakenings during the night. This is a normal reaction to benzodiazepine withdrawal and, though unpleasant, it is a sign that recovery is beginning to take place. When the deficit of REMS is made up, usually after about 4-6 weeks, the nightmares become less frequent and gradually fade away.

Return of SWS seems to take longer after withdrawal, probably because anxiety levels are high, the brain is overactive and it is hard to relax completely. Subjects may have difficulty in getting off to sleep and may experience "restless legs syndrome", sudden muscle jerks (myoclonus) just as they are dropping off or be jolted suddenly by a hallucination of a loud bang (hypnagogic hallucination) which wakes them up again. These disturbances may also last for several weeks, sometimes months.

However, all these symptoms do settle in time. The need for sleep is so powerful that normal sleep will eventually reassert itself. Meanwhile, attention to sleep hygiene measures including avoiding tea, coffee, other stimulants or alcohol near bedtime, relaxation tapes, anxiety management techniques and physical exercise may be helpful. Taking all or most of the dose of benzodiazepine at night during the reduction period may also help.

Take care,

Brighterday

• Popular Now

• [Lo...]