Is there a relationship between taking Melatonin and getting more depression?

[...]

I think I am beginning to see a pattern.  When I take Melatonin for a long time (weeks), I start to get intermittent depression.

Anyone else notice this?

People obviously take melatonin when sleep is poor and it has been my experience that melatonin only has limited value when used for withdrawal-induced insomnia. Lack of sleep tends to increase depression, so just maybe it is the symptom (increasing insomnia) and not the cure (melatonin) that causes the increase in depression for some. If melatonin actually manages to give you good sleep yet your depression increases, then it could very much be caused by the melatonin.

I had severe insomnia for years following a nasty withdrawal from Ambien. I took a lot of melatonin with only minimal improvements in sleep from it and had to endure a lot of depression. My sleep is now greatly improved, but I still often use melatonin to keep it that way. For the most part, depression is not much of a problem for me anymore.

Hi Bob! good to hear from you. Hope you are doing ok with all this virus thing....

I was reading some articles about how to lower thyroid antibodies the natural way and I found some that say melatonin + probiotics helps to lower antibodies. I DON'T have insomnia or trouble sleeping, actually I am very fatigued sometimes, plus I've never had trouble sleeping in my life (thank god).

So I am not sure...I don't want to mess myself more by taking something else, but I also want to lower my antibodies IF they are still high (got to do a test soon, 1 year ago I had one and anti thyroglobulin came a little bit high).

much love for you and your loved one's Bob!

Blossom

Hi Blossom4,

Thanks for asking.  So far, here in Missouri, the virus cases are relatively light, but the lock down does make one anxious.  Everything seems so odd.

It is good to hear from you. 

Best of luck with your up-coming test.

With much love,

Bob

• 4 months later...

I think I am beginning to see a pattern.  When I take Melatonin for a long time (weeks), I start to get intermittent depression.

Anyone else notice this?

How much melatonin are/were you taking? Just curious....

Anyone else notice this?

How much melatonin are/were you taking? Just curious....

That was a long time ago but I'm thinking it was much less than one mg.

Hi, Bob!

Yes for me 1 mg melatonin causes depression in a night or two.

I take probiotics with no problem.

So mostly I just can't take melatonin...