The Art of Happiness

[Ma...]

Wanted everyone to know, I've been reading this book and it is really helping me out. I'm about half way through it but it has already reduced my stress level. It is the first book I've read in many years due to WD related issues too, I think at least, but I've been able to read adequately for some time now.

I wanted to start a discussion about how to develop more compassion and kindness in general and during a crisis like this. One of the main principles to cultivating happiness, according to this book, is learning and developing knowledge about the proactive steps in order to do so. Recognizing, kindness and compassion as a necessity to be happy and eliminating any negative and unwholesome behaviors to reduce suffering is a start.

I'm interested in anyone who has already read this book and how it has made a difference in their lives.

The world could use a good dose of compassion and kindness right now.  I'm not familiar with this book but I'll look for it.

PG

I finished reading this book. I took extra time applying techniques to digest it to the best of my ability. I'm going to reread things I underlined. I really think it will help create better conditions to heal the brain after benzo wd and teach people to be more positive and happy. It may be the difference between healing and staying protracted for some people in my opinion or at least affect the rate of healing. It isn't something that is going to be an instant fix but with effort it will help I think in the long run. It is a completely new perspective and way of looking at things, a new chance at life, and hope. Nothing wrong with learning how to be happier and the Dalai Lama presents a sort of scientific approach that people of any background can apply to their lives. It was an easy read too. One thing this book taught me is you need to learn how to be happy. It is a skill that you need to practice. And learning changes the brain, literally.

Wow Mamoot, your post brought me joy just now, I applaud your willingness to look in a new direction.  I can see the effect this book has had on you in your words, please keep sharing what you're learning.  :smitten:

Well I'm glad it made you feel joy, and it means something to me that you recognize a difference in my words because I know you have healed and understand that outlook matters. An important thing to realize is that you can never give up hope, because hope drives us to make the changes necessary to heal from this and better ourselves. Learning the way will create the determination and enthusiasm to develop the inner discipline necessary to embark on the gradual process of removing maladaptive mental states (anger, hatred, jealously, conceit, arrogance, desire, lust, closed-mindedness) and replacing them with positive, constructive states of mind, such as compassion, patience, tolerance, forgiveness, caring, kindness and other virtuous states of mind.

This is pretty much what the book is saying to do but it gets way deeper than that and into other topics. It mentions that the best way to deal with anger is with countermeasures or antidotes and to learn how to develop a calm state of mind before you get angry in the first place. Anger causes confusion and if the emotion is too strong, the best thing to do is to not think about it until you are calmer, which is why it is important to deal with it before you get too angry. You need to analyze why you are getting angry to begin with and try to learn to be more patient and tolerant. You may even be projecting anger at your self onto others without realizing it which is why it is important to analyze things. Anger and hatred is the most destructive state of mind. Also, venting anger does not work according to the Dalai Lama, only applying the countermeasures will.

Outlook does matter and I do recognize the change in you.  I too have engaged in self destructive behavior, I'm one of the few here who took benzo's to the extreme, letting addiction take over my life so I can never lose sight of what got me to this place. 

You've inspired me to look into this book, there is a lot of fear in the world right now and we know fear can lead to so many other negative emotions, this book sounds like a good tool to get through this.

• 1 month later...

I plan on giving this book a second read in the near future. It has really helped me become less angry over time by applying the countermeasure technique. For instance, when my parrot screams really loudly, instead of getting angry and imagining horrible things like hurting it, I now think that the bird is unhappy because it lives in a basement and what it may need. That it needs more attention. When my dad starts to scream at the bird and saying awful things to it, I try to understand that he is just frustrated and has his own issues. I even told him about what the book says to do and he acknowledged that there was truth to it and liked the idea, which helped. I know it seems like a no brainer but instead of getting angry it helps to really consider more and analyze the situation better. This book is a must read for people struggling with the basics and lost their ability to rationalize anger post recovery. It is more intuitive than you realize. In order to not be angry anymore you need to think about more intelligently.

Since reading the book my life has been noticeably easier. I still have issues, especially with kratom and other substance but things are getting better. My injury has even improved so much that it is not interfering with my life anymore. The injury was the reason I ended up on benzos because of the extreme physical and emotional pain it caused. I don't know if it is a coincidence or not but using emu oil just started really helping to make the scar tissue softer and more pliable. I've used it in the past though and have never gotten these types of results. It was a combination of the emu oil and using heat and other techniques, as well as setting the intention to heal I think. It is strange that after nearly 5.5 years, that I am pain free and able to return to normal activities after a month after reading the book. It's like a miracle. I'm even able to do the same level of activity that caused me to re-injure myself accidentally a few years ago while tapering benzos that nearly ended me.

It makes me feel like I can heal from all the damage from drugs now. I have more of a reason to try harder now. I just feel like anything is possible. I know it won't be easy but I don't feel that hopeless feeling anymore holding me down.