Homemade brew: do I need a solvent plus vodka?

[Ma...]

I’m see this mentioned on several posts today. I’ve never added anything but vodka, water and pill to my home brew. I’m in new territory now since my crash. Should I also add a solvent? Which one?

I’m see this mentioned on several posts today. I’ve never added anything but vodka, water and pill to my home brew. I’m in new territory now since my crash. Should I also add a solvent? Which one?

No.

Vodka IS the solvent.

I used the "home brew" method for most of my three years tapering -- 2 ml of vodka, 1 mg of valium, 98 ml of water. 

It worked very well to help me get to zero gradually.

Hope this helps,

Katz

What OregonKatz said. Vodka dissolves the diazepam and you dilute it with water so you can make smaller dose reductions.

[cb...]

Can this method be used for my Xanax taper as well? I’ve been using my compound pharmacy but they said one of the ingredients is on back order so id like to make my own. Would like to continue to cut .003 per day, any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Apparently.

Here is info from the FDA:

Alprazolam is a white crystalline powder, which is soluble in methanol or ethanol but which has no appreciable solubility in water

Katz

Can this method be used for my Xanax taper as well? I’ve been using my compound pharmacy but they said one of the ingredients is on back order so id like to make my own. Would like to continue to cut .003 per day, any advice or direction would be appreciated.

Apologies to Magnolis for temporarily hijacking your thread to respond to WPWP.  (He is a new member so may not know that forum protocol is to create one’s own thread when asking a question/seeking input on a board.)

Hello, WPWP.  If a professionally prepared compounded liquid has been working for you, why rock the boat?  Have you considered calling another compounding pharmacy to ask if they can prepare your compound? Different pharmacies use different suppliers/distributors so just because one pharmacy does not have a particular ingredient does not mean that all pharmacies don’t have it.

Or, if you’ve been using a compounded suspension successfully, have you considered making your own suspension?  Here is a stability-tested formulation from Nationwide Children’s Hospital:

https://www.nationwidechildrens.org/-/media/nch/specialties/pharmacy/compounding-formulas/alprazolam-oral.ashx

Different benzodiazepines are available in different strengths and formats; they also have different physical, chemical, and pharmacokinetic properties.  So, you might consider posting your question to the Xanax Support Group at:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=74309.msg3055787#msg3055787

(This link will take you to the last page in the thread as of the day/time of this post. Note: This is a thread not a board, so it’s AOK to just “jump in” by clicking the Reply button.)

It also might be helpful to review recent posts/signatures of members in the above group to learn what methods they are using.  Finally, please see my response to your post to at:

http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=135284.msg3066277#msg3066277

Perhaps you have seen something posted where someone is topping off a dose so that it can more easily be divided.

I used the 1:2:8 ratio, but then I would add enough water or Gatoraid to the measured dose to equal one cup. I did that so that I could easily divide four 1/4 cup doses to divide my daily dose into four doses.

This does not change the mixing at all.

So, no matter what the measured dosage, just put in a one cup measure and fill to the one cup line with basically filler just to avoid having to divide tiny little ml measures four times during the day.

Not sure that is what you're asking, but it might help someone anyway.

All the best!