Just had my cortisol levels checked- I'm way over.

[co...]

Hello,

I had my cortisol levels tested (saliva test x4 throughout the day @waking @midday @evening @before bed) and the results came back as elevated.

I'm wondering has anyone else has had these tested? I've gained tons of weight (visceral fat around stomach & face) during this withdrawal so that (among other things is what prompted the test)

No, I haven't had these tests but I am thinking I should. My bloodwork has shown extremely high numbers of cytokines (every year it is high) which I guess are blood markers for inflammation.

I know the correlation between inflammation and depression, anxiety, etc has been well-founded. It also relate to allergies such as food, etc.

I have gained a lot of weight around my mid-section and face and I think it is related to hormones (menopause), general lethargy from so many years weaning off psych meds, etc. Lots of time spent in bed and a boyfriend who lives for pizza and hamburgers (like a child) though I try to cook healthy meals constantly. But I give in...I'm only human.

It is only understandable to have high cortisol levels going through tapering and withdrawal and especially with the zombie apocalypse upon us...sheesh. How are you feeling?

I had them, too.

Just be careful to have an eye only on one marker. Cortisol has some players with it, which are also very important. You need to have a medical professional how knows how to interpret various markers in your blood (and of course checking all of them instead of just one). Higher levels of cortisol can have several reasons, so they have to check more than just that. Also, having high or low levels does not always mean that there is a bad damage or something really bad happening, it can also just show the picture of a body doing the right things in stressful times.

I have read and studied years to understand my blood markers and had a lot of talks with doctors and experts, - and I found out most of the general practioners just don't have a deeper understanding of blood markers, they just take 1-3 markers and then give something to either lower the level or increase it - and this does not always make sense.

You are in withdrawal, so your cortisol must be high as a reaction on the stress you feel. I found it easier to lower the cortisol levels than bringing them up, and cortisol responds quiet quickly if you can find something that relaxes you. At the same time, this means, if you had a night of better sleep, the marker will change from one test to the other. Which makes it difficult to get a clear picture. All I can say is that when I started to work with my body, like meditating, working out just a little little bit - the levels changed. Cortisol is okey for now, - DHEA is still too low.

Was DHEA checked as well?

Just curious about your daily pattern of the cortisol level if you did 4 times.

Is it especially higher in morning and lower as the day goes?

Hi.

Here are the results -

Waking (8:00am) 23 nmol/L  (Normal range 6 - 21 )

Midday (12:00) 8.23 nmol/L (Normal range 1.5 - 7.6 )

Afternoon (4:00pm) 3.82nmol/L (Normal range 0 - 5.5 )

Bedtime (10:00pm) 1.5nmol/L ( Normal range 0 - 2 )

I was told by the doctor (online checker) that because it was lower at night time I don't need to worry.. I wasn't worried anyway as this was only for my own idea of the levels. I even had to PAY for this test £70.00 GBP because my own NHS doctor probably would of refused it...

Hi.

Here are the results -

Waking (8:00am) 23 nmol/L  (Normal range 6 - 21 )

Midday (12:00) 8.23 nmol/L (Normal range 1.5 - 7.6 )

Afternoon (4:00pm) 3.82nmol/L (Normal range 0 - 5.5 )

Bedtime (10:00pm) 1.5nmol/L ( Normal range 0 - 2 )

I was told by the doctor (online checker) that because it was lower at night time I don't need to worry.. I wasn't worried anyway as this was only for my own idea of the levels. I even had to PAY for this test £70.00 GBP because my own NHS doctor probably would of refused it...

And again I am shocked about what doctors tell their patients!

These are totally normal markers!!

your marker in the morning is just 2 points higher than the normal range, which is not critical, same for the marker in the midday.

With these markers in my country no doctor would tell you that you "are way over" - or was that your interpretation?

As I said, these levels are different with each day, its possible the next day you were lower. So many factors having an effect on cortisol.

Another good sign is that in the average your markers are not varying too much, even if you are more at the end of the norm range, the markers are stable thought the day.

This test result is really normal, no need to worry! :thumbsup:

Who's worrying? I'm just sharing my results..

They didn't say "way over", they said it was slightly over, I guess I just asuumeed it was way over.

Who's worrying? I'm just sharing my results..

They didn't say "way over", they said it was slightly over, I guess I just asuumeed it was way over.

okey I interpreted the title of the topic more dramatic.

;D

:smitten:

Thanks for sharing, cookiemouse!

Good info!

I never know the normal ranges vary that much as the day goes.

Do you feel sx less intense late evening as your cortisol falls to normal? I heard lots ppl saying so and they contribute it to cortisol level.

Thanks

4mom

^ Yep, definitely. The symptoms are a significantly reduced in the evening time.. It's actually the only real time that I feel somewhat "normal".

^ Yep, definitely. The symptoms are a significantly reduced in the evening time.. It's actually the only real time that I feel somewhat "normal".

That is great!! May I ask are you able to exercise already?

Yea I do exercise. I try to go for 2 or 3x 30 minute walks a day. It helps the symptoms and makes me feel better generally.

My cortisol is/was like yours. It follows a normal circadian rhythm but you have elevated levels. I had saliva tests done by a naturopath. i was going to see an endocrinologist before this corona thing exploded, but  at the same time I did some research to realize that elevated cortisol can be a result of benzo use. I know that bc I'm in WD my levels will be up as well. There are many who have recovered here on BB that talk about this and that their levels eventually go down. I think I'm seeing/feeling changes in mine some days. I won't know for sure until doctors here go back to regular visits. So i wait.

Honestly yours aren't too bad. Best of luck!

Yea I do exercise. I try to go for 2 or 3x 30 minute walks a day. It helps the symptoms and makes me feel better generally.

Well that is so great! Very happy for you. This will definitely help your hormone levels to balance out, plus the fresh air is great for the cells -and so much more. Really great that you go for several little walks a day, that's awesome. :thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...
I had the cortisol tests as well, and they were normal for morning and midday and they way over for the 5pm and 10pm tests, hence I couldn’t sleep. I did the tests 3 months later again and for the morning and midday tests, they were more or less the same. The 5pm and 10pm ones were now way under. I reason it’s the benzos. The first tests where just after I stopped the pills hence the stress, insomnia, cortisol surges etc. 

Are cortisol tests part of a general check up/work up?

If the levels are high, what would be the treatment?

Thanks. LA

Hi Lilyann

I tested mine through an integrated medical Dr. Its called the saliva 4 sample cortisol test. They give you these very small looking saliva tubes to take home and you put your saliva in them at 8am, 12pm, 5pm and 22pm. This may differ per region, some do 5 samples at different times. You don’t eat or drink an hour before you samples. You put your samples in the fridge and then when you have completed all the times, you drop off at the lab the day you complete. Most General Practitioners don’t recognize these tests and only want to do the morning test only. But this is flawed because your corstisol changes throughout the day. The morning reading could be okay but the afternoon not. In terms of what you do to reduce your cortisol, I recommend only natural ways like meditation, yoga, not stressing, change diet and lifestyle etc. Some people have low cortisol making them tired and lethargic, then for them it’s important to check iron levels, and also change diet. Medications can be tricky, especially with us already sick.

Yes, my cortisol levels tested very high. I wake up every night between 2-4 am. I’m doing everything I can to regulate this short of taking adaptogenic herbs because I believe ashwaganda is contraindicated for us.