Update: Tick Bite Need Advice

[pr...]

Hello,

I was bitten by a tick on Monday and Tuesday morning developed a red rash which is still prominent today but smaller. The rash is not the bullseye type but red and a little itchy. I am wondering do I need to go to the doctor to get an antibiotic or what. I know we are not doctors, but was just wondering if anybody had any advice. I do not want to take an antibiotic if not needed, but also do not want to get lyme disease if an antibiotic would prevent it.

Thanks in advance for answering.

PG

If it were me I'd call my doctor, I would not want to have to deal with Lyme disease.  Many, in fact most, doctors are doing telemedicine.  You could describe the rash and if it's a video appointment it would also be visible. 

pianogirl  :smitten:

That's good you are having them look at it. I had a tick byte a year ago, and I was fresh in benzo withdrawal and didn't want to take antibiotics either.  I went in, and the doc didn't think it was a tick byte at all.  Hope your appointment goes well.

That's good you are having them look at it. I had a tick byte a year ago, and I was fresh in benzo withdrawal and didn't want to take antibiotics either.  I went in, and the doc didn't think it was a tick byte at all.  Hope your appointment goes well.

Thanks GreenCup. In my case I know it was a tick because I had to go to my sister in law and have her take it off. I will just suck it up and take the antibiotics. I live in a very small rural area so needless to say I don't know what my doctor wants to see because there is nothing he can do but write the prescription.

Will let you all know what happens. But I can tell you now, I will go in let him look at the rash, he will write me a prescription and I will go to the next town to get it filled, and nervously take it for the amount of days he tells me to.  ;D ;D

Thanks GreenCup. In my case I know it was a tick because I had to go to my sister in law and have her take it off. I will just suck it up and take the antibiotics. I live in a very small rural area so needless to say I don't know what my doctor wants to see because there is nothing he can do but write the prescription.

Will let you all know what happens. But I can tell you now, I will go in let him look at the rash, he will write me a prescription and I will go to the next town to get it filled, and nervously take it for the amount of days he tells me to.  ;D ;D

Keep us posted PG  :smitten: :smitten: 

PG, it might not be Lyme.  The small rash could just be a reaction to having a bite.  I had Lyme years ago and the bull's-eye rash is very obvious.  Mine covered my entire chest, neck and arm since I got bit on my shoulder.  There's a good chance your Lyme test will be negative.

PG, it might not be Lyme.  The small rash could just be a reaction to having a bite.  I had Lyme years ago and the bull's-eye rash is very obvious.  Mine covered my entire chest, neck and arm since I got bit on my shoulder.  There's a good chance your Lyme test will be negative.

Hope so Becks. I will probably have to threaten his life to even do a lyme test. LOL

Just got back from Doctor's office and he looked at it and ordered 100 mg Doxcycline 2 times a day for 10 days. He said that should take care of any problems. Did not do any blood work which I knew he would not do. Everyone in the office were wearing a mask but the doctor.  :laugh: Hope the doxy does not rev up my CNS. Already took the first pill because there is no need to prolong it. Thanks everyone for your advice!

PG

Did you keep the tick? If so that can be checked if carrying different bacteria etc.

No Ajusta I did not think about keeping it at the time(Benzo brain and panic).

PG, I'm going to be honest with you.  IMO, that doc should have ordered a Lyme test first before having you take those antibiotics!  If I were you, I'd go see another doc who will order the Lyme test first and then wait for the results.  If the results are negative, then you wouldn't even need the antibiotics.  People should not take antibiotics unless they really need them.  My doc made sure he gave me a Lyme test first and when the results came back positive then I got my prescription filled.  He sounds like an incompetent doc to me.   

PG, I'm going to be honest with you.  IMO, that doc should have ordered a Lyme test first before having you take those antibiotics!  If I were you, I'd go see another doc who will order the Lyme test first and then wait for the results.  If the results are negative, then you wouldn't even need the antibiotics.  People should not take antibiotics unless they really need them.  My doc made sure he gave me a Lyme test first and when the results came back positive then I got my prescription filled.  He sounds like an incompetent doc to me. 

It is too early for a test to detect lyme in the blood. It takes from 2 to 6 weeks to show up, so he gave me 100 mg twice a day of doxycycline for 7 to 10 days. I will have the test done after 6 weeks.

PG

Good news Preachergirl.  I recently did a cycle of doxycycline with no problems.  Hope yours runs smoothly. 

Good news Preachergirl.  I recently did a cycle of doxycycline with no problems.  Hope yours runs smoothly.

Thanks GreenCup! This is day 3 and so far just have nausea after taking it and even if I only make it to day 7 I will be satisfied.  The rash is slowly looking better and I hope when I get the test done in about 6 weeks it comes back normal.

PG

PG, I'm sure you're Lyme test will be negative.  I'm sure the rash was just from the bite itself.

Thanks Becks!